HybridZ

Would a 5/8" spacer be safe?

I know, I'm being a post whore.. :lol: Anyway, I ran across a great deal on a set of rims. 16X7 5 spokes (painted white matching my car) with rubber in ok shape for $200. Has 2 bolt paterns, so stud fitment is fine. Apon test fiting, I ran into a few issues however... The rear will need a 1/4 spacer to clear the strut tube. No problem, I have a couple spacers lying around. I checked, and it'll work fine. Moving to the front.. ugh.. From what I can figure out, I'll nend a spacer (between hub and wheel) that is about 5/8" thick. Also, I'll need longer studs, as the stock ones would only allow about 2 threads. AND I can only get M12X1.5 nuts (Checked at UAP, stock is M12X1.25, no nuts availible though... ?) ok... no problem.. I'll build a spacer, buy new studs and nuts, and the wheels will bolt on. I'd hate to waste time and $$ though if this is going to be incredibly unsafe in the end.. Any thoughts?

Doesn't sound unsafe to me. 2nd gen RX7 has 12 x 1.5 studs that are maybe an inch longer than stock 240 studs. Or you can go ARP. 12 x 1.25 stuff should be fairly common. Finding nuts that size shouldn't be a problem. Finding a longer stud probably would be.

Ok.. a bit of an update on this.. I got some 52mm M12X1.5 studs, and they do just fine. Well, after I reamed the holes slightly and counter-bored the back side of the hub about .050" deaper they were fine.. :lol: Also, I ah.. heh heh... mis-calculated. Turns out I'll need a spacer about .900" thick. I was going to use steel, but my boss seams to think aluminum will do the trick.. THIS has got me a bit woried. So far I'm gona have about $80 invested for material to build the spacers, another $100 for stinking lug nuts (needed special slim ones to fit these rims with 'spline drive' and special tool :roll: ) on top of the $200 for the rims. If I loose one on the highway, it's gona be messy and expencive..

I'm running 1.5'' spacers front and rear to get my wheels in the right spot. I had all the studs pressed out and installed arp 3'' studs in 1.25 pitch. They are long but I've had no issues so far.

One thing to note, alot of the older porche racers use spacers to get their wheels to fill their new flares. They've been doing so for tens of years without incidence.

Cool.. Guess I'll get to work then! :) I looked at the 1/2" stuts, but they were really tight in the wheel bolt holes, and I was woried about them 'picking up' and possibly causing fitment issues when installing them. The guy I bought the rims from also got them used, (they were on a honda civic) but they fit his acura integra no prob, so he didn't think nothing of it.. the bolt hole circle that I'm using has never been touched on these rims. :lol: