HybridZ

Seat Flammability...and welding safety

Jolane

I had read about Mikelly having a seat fire when working on Jim's car a few weeks back. I guess it didn't really sink in though, because I did the same thing last night!

I had a seat from a Jeep Wrangler sitting on my floorpans (using it to compare dimensions, test fit, etc). Well, I decided to work on the rear of the subframe connectors, where they go up the back of the floorpans. The interior otherwise is out of the car. Not thinking, I was happily welding away on this region when I notice flames through the seat belt nut hole. I slid out from under the car, hurry to get my fire extinguisher, and put the fire out. What a mess. It was only burning ~10 sec I guess, but the complete seat back is gone. Boy was that flammable! I never would have guessed, especially a factory seat.

So, I learned a few things. Always have a fire extinguisher near by, whether welding, cutting, whatever! And know that it is good! Check the other side of the weld. Just like a stick, there are two ends...

Do I feel stupid, yes. Was I lucky, yes. Will I stop starting fires in my car while welding? I hope so! (This is three now, burnt paper months ago, melted tie down strap along with that, burnt sheet that was covering the engine from overspray, and now the seat.)

I just wanted to remind everyone about welding safety. I wish I had remembered myself...since now I have a mess inside my car to clean up.

Be Safe,

Joshua

I can't imagine what would happen with a full interior in there. Why aren't seats more flame resistant? Is there a method/spray, whatever to make them safer in case of fire?

A bucket of water is an invaluable thing to have handy when welding. Less messy than an extinquisher and saves the extinguisher for the big stuff.

When I was in the Navy they had very strict requirements about setting fire watches when welding. "The other side of the wall" was often not visible.

I am not sure I want to dump a bunch of water where my welder, grinder, and other metal working equipment is. Also, is water a good way to put out a fire when most likely oil or gasoline are burning? Just curious, since even though it probably would have worked fine for this event, it seems like most fires around auto's are gas.

Water is certainly cheaper though...

Joshua

Josh, Sorry to hear about your situation with the seat...

However, I'm happy to report that I DID NOT set Jim M.'s car on Fire... I farmed that work out to a shop locally and THEY set his car on fire... Express Auto in Fredericksburg, Va... Not Mike Kelly Fabrications Inc.

I do NOT want that dubious honor!

Safety first!

Mike

Mike,

I am sorry that I worded that way. I knew it was not you who did the honors, but the way I phased it suggested differently. I apologize for that.

As for the seat I lit up, not a big deal, it was broken anyways. I was only using it for reference. More than anything though, it is amazing how flammable they are!

I would be very interested in a spray coating that would reduce flammability. Anybody know of anything? I am thinking something similar to a waterproofing spray, but for fire retardant.

Joshua