HybridZ

Rear Hatch Lock Mechanism

240Z2NV

Did several searches (possibly in wrong forum); but, came up with little. I have read that some of you have used Solex locks for doors. I am shaving my door locks and installing power door locks, and keeping the hatch 'unmolested' as my entry back-up. I would, however, like to install a better lock/release for the hatch.

Have any of you modified their external rear hatch lock assembly with satisfactory results? Upgraded pieces? Please either respond here or directly ( handymanstan@comcast.net ) with suggestions, and possibly pics.

Again, many have installed 'poppers', and that is cool; but not what I'm looking for...I'm looking for a non-electric method. Thanks very much in advance!!

I will be working on using a 300ZX rear hatch mechanism to replace my hatch latch. I will mount the mechanism on the car, and only the wire loop on the hatch. I am planning on boxing in the region above the license plate to make room for this. I will also source late model license plate lights to mount in this boxed region, and eliminate the stock license lights. I am keeping the stock tail lights, and am a little unsure on what to do with the three piece rear cover. I want to keep the outer pieces though at least.

This should net me a cable actuated rear hatch only, no push button. It should clean up the rear more also, as I don't really care for that little push button.

These are my plans. I may have to find a smaller mechanism, but from the initial look, it looks like it should fit. I am not sure if you want to do any grinding, cutting welding etc...since mine is stripped, now is the time to do what I want.

Joshua