HybridZ

240Z Camber Plate Sources?

a word on noises-the gc camber plates in my car have about 80,000 miles on them.until head gaskit blew car was a daily work car.roads are rough around here.i am sure i will check for some wear when the engine comes out .car is getting prepped for more use.the mono ball bearing is replacable.

a word on noises-the gc camber plates in my car have about 80,000 miles on them.until head gaskit blew car was a daily work car.roads are rough around here.i am sure i will check for some wear when the engine comes out .car is getting prepped for more use.the mono ball bearing is replacable.

Mine rattle too, but you can only hear it in the back. I replaced the bearings in my plates once. You need a press to press them out of the camber plate, FYI. I wasn't expecting that when I did mine. Anyway, they were quiet for about a week, then the noise was back. I have all the camber plates out right now and the bearings have maybe .001 or .002 play in them. They certainly aren't worn out, but they make noise. I did use the aircraft grade chrome ball teflon liner bearings which were something like $30 each. I never realized what Katman said before, but since the monoball is isolated that might be the reason for the noise. Every time the strut gets compressed then extended, that little change in direction can make the bearing clunk just a bit, then the strut tower amplifies the noise.

The monoballs are not designed to take suspension load, thats what the upper spring perch is for.

John, with regards to the upper spring perch, don't MOST camber plates come with an upper spring perch that necks down to sit directly on the bottom of the monoball? I thought that's what most of them do. Example: http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

Most camber plates DO put spring loads into the monoball which can be a bad thing. The EMI Plates put the spring loads from the upper spring perch into the camber plate itself. The front plates have a Torington bearing between the spring perch and the plate while the rears just have direct contact. The upper spring perches slide onto the bottom of the camber plate and are held in place by a c-clip.