HybridZ

Shortening stock 240/280 halfshafts

ARZ_

Anybody remember seeing a post or site where a guy took his stock halfshafts apart and shortened them. I installed an r200 LSD and custom Chromemoly control arms and I plan on running the control arms as far inboard to bring my wheels in cause the only wheels I could get will put my wheels about a half inch to far out board. I want to make sure they dont bind when I compress and was looking for that link. Anybody remember it?

When I converted the rear end and drive axles in my 1970 to an R200 and the drive axles that came with it, I had to shorten the left side drive axle by approximately 1/2" (this is a U-joint type drive axle). They are pretty easy to disassemble! Be very careful not to misplace any of the steel balls or spacers or for that matter any of the parts, as I believe they are not readily available. I had a machist friend of mine shorten the male end of the axle pair by 1/2" and replicate what was originaly there before shortening so it could be reassembled as originaly designed. It worked out perfectly for me with no more binding on the left side. I've been running this modified drive axle for about 3 years now and have incountered zero issues with the mod.

I was planning on doing this exact same thing, but I was going to chop the axle 3/4" and then weld the ball retainer plate onto the end instead of re-machining the axles. Finally I decided to just say screw it and do a CV conversion instead. I think my idea would have worked just fine though, and certainly 2126's way of doing it would work, although it might be a bit more expensive.