HybridZ

T-56 rebuilt, or rebuild kit?

deMideon

Define rebuilt... if you just want to freshen it up get the Bearing kit and synchro kit... Call D&D performance and get both kits. The transmission is very easy to rebuild. You may want to get a steel 3/4 shift fork if you are a gear slammer.

Make sure you replace the 2 shift fork alignment bolts and maybe the shift pads too.

The transmission will hold up fine at the 450HP level. I have been abusing mine with more than that for years.

Oh! Good point... well first mine is from a 93-94 so from what I understand it can't handle more than 400 hp.... I am having problems getting it into 5th, and it pops out of reverse. everything else works fine. Now I did modify the reverse lockout... but I wouldn't think that would matter.

If that is all you are having problems with then just buy the 5th gear blocker ring. The tail section comes off easily, pull 5th and replace the blocker ring. On the reverse, simply pull the reverse synchro apart and flip it over and re-use it. Reverse only uses one side, so the other side is NEW. Maybe buy a reverse blocker ring.

Jody

I have never opened the tranny while it was still in the car, but it it may be possible. The 5/6 countershaft and gears will be tough to hold in place while it's on the car.. but I suppose it could be done in the car.

The big deal with only having to deal with 5th and reverse is that they are all in the tail section. Once you have to crack into the main section (1-4) of the tranny, the shift rail installation is a PITA. Otherwise it's cake.

If you have alot of miles on the tranny, the 5/6 countershaft will pull out by hand. If it's new or very low mile tranny it requires a special puller. I think it cost me $70 for just the puller head. I had to rebuild a friend's with ~5000 miles once and everything was tight. Once they get 30 or 40K on them they loosen up plenty.

Take a look at this... http://jodyc.fbody.com/T56-manual/T56_service_manual.pdf

That should answer a few questions :)

Jody

Well it sounds like I should pull the whole thing... I don't believe I can drop the trans, so I'll have to pull the engine. Not that terribley hard... and I suppose that will give me a chance to fix an oil leak I have too!

At that point if I'm going to have it out, I'll rebuild the whole thing. Better to take it out once and get it done right.