HybridZ

LT1 570Z Latest Pic's

I routed my wiring, mounted the PCM to the firewall with a new PCM bracket made for a 94 Z28, and installed the exhaust. I'm very happy with how it looks and sounds. I'm going to try and record the sound of the engine and post that later. I still need to finish plumbing the brakes, and then I can hit the streets:icon52: .

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/finishedEngine1.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/finishedEngine2.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/finishedEngine3.JPG

Guest 73LT1Z

I'm looking to do about the same thing (LT1/T56) if I can lay hands on a decent 280Z body. I've been reading up here on seats & saw the Miata ones with the speakers. Looks like they can be had for about $200/pair + shipping at junkyards.

I have a lead on a complete LT1 w/ LT4 goodies (430 HP +/-) for less than the conversion kit, so it would be more cost-effective to buy this motor vs. converting mine, plus I can then sell off my motor to offset the cost.

Reply requested when convenient

What did the headers cost you & what was your source?

What does the rest of the exhaust consist of?

Do you think adding AC would be a problem either from an install point or as an overheating issue?

Any chance of getting a wiring diagram from you :) ?

If you could do anything differently, what would you do?

You must be happy having it running! I know I was when my TA rear-mount turbo fired for the first time yesterday. A few more clamps & then I can make an appointment for a dyno tune.

Bartman,

LT1 cooling question/comment.

The passenger side of the water pump is the outlet side and you have it going to the bottom of the radiator. That means your radiator is trying to flow up. I was planning on running my passenger side cooling over to the top of the radiator.

Comments???

I'm looking to do about the same thing (LT1/T56) if I can lay hands on a decent 280Z body. I've been reading up here on seats & saw the Miata ones with the speakers. Looks like they can be had for about $200/pair + shipping at junkyards.

I have a lead on a complete LT1 w/ LT4 goodies (430 HP +/-) for less than the conversion kit' date=' so it would be more cost-effective to buy this motor vs. converting mine, plus I can then sell off my motor to offset the cost.

[i']Reply requested when convenient[/i]

What did the headers cost you & what was your source?

What does the rest of the exhaust consist of?

Do you think adding AC would be a problem either from an install point or as an overheating issue?

Any chance of getting a wiring diagram from you :) ?

If you could do anything differently, what would you do?

You must be happy having it running! I know I was when my TA rear-mount turbo fired for the first time yesterday. A few more clamps & then I can make an appointment for a dyno tune.

I'm using seats from a Miata on my Z as well, but my interior is a big mess right now and I only have the drivers seat in so far.

• The headers were custom made by Tim240Z and I purchased his complete setup including engine, transmission, rear end, etc.
  • I am actually interested in possibly adding AC in the future, but I'm sure there will be installation issues and likely more cooling needed.
  • I don't have a wiring diagram, and I really need to get one myself:icon11: .
  • It's always easy to do things differently if you could do them over, but in the grand scheme of things I think I would do it the same.

Bartman,

I noticed that you appear to have used the stock Datsun fuel feed and return lines, is this true?

Have you noticed whether the return will flow enough fuel to prevent a build up of pressure?

I ran all new 3/8" line for my feed and return, added a sump to my fuel tank and used the original pickup in the tank as the return so I would make sure the flow was enough for WOT operations. I'm also using the Waldro 255lph (I believe) high pressure pump.

Have you tested yours at high RPM yet?

Have you modified or replaced the tank and if so what did you do?

What fuel pump are you running?

I know Tim installed a fuel cell and surge tank but don't remember seeing anything about the fuel line setup he had, do you know what his setup was?

Wheelman

Bartman' date='

I noticed that you appear to have used the stock Datsun fuel feed and return lines, is this true?

Have you noticed whether the return will flow enough fuel to prevent a build up of pressure?

I ran all new 3/8" line for my feed and return, added a sump to my fuel tank and used the original pickup in the tank as the return so I would make sure the flow was enough for WOT operations. I'm also using the Waldro 255lph (I believe) high pressure pump.

Have you tested yours at high RPM yet?

Have you modified or replaced the tank and if so what did you do?

What fuel pump are you running?

I know Tim installed a fuel cell and surge tank but don't remember seeing anything about the fuel line setup he had, do you know what his setup was?

Wheelman[/quote']I'm using the stock lines and tank, but I'm using the stock vent line as my return line (it's larger than the stock return line on my '73). I haven't done any testing at high RPM, but I believe several people have done this without any problems. I'm using a fuel pump from a turbo ZX for now, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a permanent setup. I'm thinking maybe I'll go with an LS1 fuel tank and pump combo down the road.

I think Tim ran all new aluminum lines (3/8" and 5/16" if I'm not mistaken).

Bartman' date='

LT1 cooling question/comment.

The passenger side of the water pump is the outlet side and you have it going to the bottom of the radiator. That means your radiator is trying to flow up. I was planning on running my passenger side cooling over to the top of the radiator.

Comments???

[/quote']

Actually I didn't realize this was how it was setup (I'm running the same cooling setup that Tim was running). I don't what the advantages/disadvantages are of running this configuration.

JBC3,

Thats the way the LT1 cooling system is designed.

It does flow from the bottom of the radiator to the top, it's supposed to help purge any air in the system. Don't hook it up backwards or you 'll have a hell of a time getting all the air out.

Bartman,

I guess I just went a little overboard with my fuel lines. The reason I did mine the way I did was because I'd read several threads where people reported problems with the stock lines or potential problems anyway and I wanted to avoid them from the start. Especially because redoing the fuel lines means pulling the engine and tranny back out.

I don't think all the threads were LT1 specific or on this site but I ran across a few of them and all the them talked about fuel tank baffling as well.

Using an LS1 tank with it's pump and new fuel lines would solve any problems you might run into. I've seen at least 1 thread on here where a tank from an LS1 powered Camaro was used, I think it was a 2001 model.

Wheelman

Looking REAL nice Bart. How hard was it not to scratch the paint when installing the motor/other little bits? I plan to do the paint in my engine bay as nice as the rest of the car, paint looks good btw, and wondering how much of a feat it will be to reinstall everything.

Looking REAL nice Bart. How hard was it not to scratch the paint when installing the motor/other little bits? I plan to do the paint in my engine bay as nice as the rest of the car, paint looks good btw, and wondering how much of a feat it will be to reinstall everything.
Thanks John, it is hard to protect the paint when installing the motor ond other bits. Here's a pic of how I attempted to protect mine while I was installing the engine and transmission:

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/LT1_install_1.JPG

I still managed to get a small nick in the paint:shock: , but thats to be expected. The paint isn't perfect, and I will hold a higher standard when I paint the exterior. Wick Humble's How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car was a big help on reinstalling everything, especially the suspension and steering.

good to see, we own a body shop, and Rick Humbles book so I should be in business :-). Im envision a bunch of old blankets/towels etc covering my bay. Its definitely worth the effort latter to have the bay looking as good as the rest of the car.

Looking Good, and keep up the good work.