HybridZ

Damn, I feel old. What's Bling Bling?

RPMS

Okay, now y'all have done it. You've made me feel like a white-bread grandpa who can't keep up with the modern lingo. I used to feel like I was hip to the jive and a cool phat daddy, but this is just beyond me.

I've seen Fast & Furious. I listen to modern album oriented rock. Heck, I've even done a web search! All "Bling Bling" comes up with is Amazon.com's offer to buy some bling bling at reduced prices, and lots of sites having to do with rap and "pimp daddies" and lots of extremely large gold jewelry. WTF?

Would someone PLEASE educate me? I feel like I've lost the thread of the modern collective consciousness. Soon I'll be sounding like an 80 year old man spouting off about horseless carriages!

Scott Ferguson

*sigh* Feeling old...

Scott, I think you might be referring to my post under the "rims" thread.

I was just-a joking with the bling-bling. Like kid-vid says it just means something shiny 'n fancy.

I was just trying to get a laugh out of the bunch as a dispute over the true definitions of "wheels" and "rims" was unravelling.

So the next time you hear a pimp or drugdealer (as these are usually the only types using this phrase) talking about bling-bling, rest assured thay are talking about some sort of jewelery or 22" gold plated wheels (or is it rims)

Sorry about the sarcasim or any confusion my humor may have caused.

Jaime

Originally posted by Jaime240z:

So the next time you hear a pimp or drugdealer (as these are usually the only types using this phrase) talking about bling-bling.

you forgot about honduh owners also..... b_hand.gif

mike

Jaime, I wasn't specifically thinking of your thread, although that was the one that brought it to mind. The phrase "bling bling" has been used several times in these pages, sometimes referring to a specific thing, and sometimes used as an exclaimation. Modern speech is like that - a word might be used for several different things, depending on circumstances, making it tough to determine meaning from context.

So... "Bling bling" means (in essence) flashy, so can also refer to flashy, over-the-top behavior (burning donuts in front of the courthouse, etc). It may be used with admiration or disrespect, also depending on context. *whew!* Staying abreast of current slang is tough! Thanks for the info.

And Auxillary, I visited Mr. Bling and I have to admit, that answers the long held question, "Where do they get those things???" Now I know! :-) Did you notice that one of their sample caps said "Sweet Z"? You can get a set just like that in time for the next Z convention! :D