HybridZ

new to the v8 z

Hey all well this is not my first z i have had a 77 280z and an 84 300zx but 4 days ago i purchased a 1970 240 with a 350 in it along with a 700r4 car needs some paint and a little interior but other than that pretty good shape .the car is not finished yet the guy got the motor and trans in and thats about it no radiator in it but he gave me one from a camaro with electric fan no shift linkage so not sure what i am gonna use yet but it does have the shifter in it from an automatic no drive shaft but i have already taken care of that with a local shop and will have that back tuesday and the throttle linkage has yet to be done or exhaust other than that everything else seems to be good the car starts and sounds great i was told the motor is fresh and the tranny also by the looks of them they might be only time will tell .well i hope this car turns out to be fun and a nice little toy but if anyone has any ideas about throttle linkage it has a holly 850 on it that would be a great help and also if it is better to modify the stock shofter to work with the 700r4 or just get a nice aftermarket shifter and i will also be changing the wheels the stock ones just don't seem large enough ... thanks

Welcome to HZ.

For a throttle linkage, you can get a nice new Lokar cable, or just get something from a JY vehicle. The first thing that you need to do is to change that Carb. 850CFM is entirely too large for a 350ci. A 650, or 700 will be much better.

You can use the Datsun auto shifter, or get an aftemarket. Comes down to whether or not you got the $$, and whether or not you want to use all the forward gears. The Datsun one will only be able to select 3 of the 4 forward gears.

Good luck....

well thanks on the info on the shifter and i kinda wanna use all the gears so i will just get a shifter from jegs or something . as for the carb i have a 650 i was gonna try anyway but i can always jet the 850 down and tune it to my car .. my buddy has an idea for the throttle linkage also i was wondering what to do about the linkage from the trans to the carb for the kickdown all i see is a cable run up from the trans.

also i was wondering what to do about the linkage from the trans to the carb for the kickdown all i see is a cable run up from the trans.

You are running a 700r4 tranny. That cable is not a kickdown cable! It's TV cable and has to be adjusted right or you'll burn your tranny. This link will help: http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

For a Throttle cable I found that Autozone/Checkers carries a nice throttle linkage kit for about $25. It can be cut to fit and is very easy to install. It has the steel braided cable like the LOKAR setup, but, for much cheaper and is easier to obtain.

Look in the domestic performance/dressup section.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can use a 3spd shifter with a 700r4 if you install the throttle cable while the tranny and shifter are in neutral. The gears will be a little "off" as far as the position of the shifter, but it'll work in a pinch. You can use a shift cable for a 82-92 Camaro or Firebird with a 700r4.

You can get a B&M shifter for a 700r4 from Auto Zone or Advance, and it comes with a cable.

If you don't fully understand the TV cable setup, don't try to do it yourself. Your tranny won't last long with improper fluid pressures. You have to get an adapter to install on the Holley for the T adjustment to be 100% correct. There's a way to get it close, but you CANNOT get it 100% set right without the adapter. Check Ebay.

The 850 is overkill. A Holley 650 DP is a better choice. You can probably find someone to trade you a 650 + cash for the 850.

Guest tony78_280z

You can not just down jet the 850. It will then run lean. Jetting up or down does not change the CFM. I'm assuming you have a holley. If so go here, if it is a quadrajet try here. Other, you are on your own. An 850cfm on a 5.7L is gonna run sluggish in the lower RPMs and get horrible cruising gas milage.

700r4 TV-Cable adapter for a Holley I belive cost me 31.99.

A friend of mine used the stock Datsun auto shifter when he converted his 240Z to a V8 with a 200-4R tranny. He may have used a shorter arm on the tranny or a longer arm on the shifter to get it to work. What he did was to get that part worked out so he could have access to all the gears, and then removed the detent plate in the Datsun shifter and make a new one that had the detents just where they needed to be. It was pretty simple to make and install, as I recall.

The Lokar throttle cable is very nice and worth the few extra buck as it provied plenty of ways to make adjustments.

well on the carb i have a 650 on my 65 mustang and i was gonna swap them as the mustang is built and can take the carb.. and glad to get the info on the cable from the trans it would have sucked to trash the trans as it was just rebuilt so thanks on that .. and i got a b&m shifter for a 4 speed auto so i will get that on there i tried to fit the radiator in and it is perfect but the fan don't fit it is too thick i think the motor is kinda far forward in this thing as i have about 3 to 4 inches between the fire wall and the distributor so i might move the motor back some this weekend if i can before the driveline gets done this on monday ... or i will just get a thin fan and leave it alone ..