HybridZ

Ignition Module Wiring.

akeizm

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start my Z this thursday with a brandnew l28e converted to a turbo. But I have a little issue with my ignition module and its wiring. I have been talking to moby and be says that the module is fine and this is how to setup the wiring. I'm not saying that moby is wrong, I just want to be reassured by other people that the way I am hooking it up is right so I won't have spark issues on Thursday. Anyway, the details for the module is below, with the way I have wired it underneath that (I have posted this on the ms forums, but it seems no 1 there knows how to wire or they just plain dont want to help):

Bosch - 9 222 067 021 (which has been replaced with 9 222 067 024)

1 Stage

8 - 10 Amps (Max Primary Current)

4 Pins

Inductive Trigger

The pins are:

3 = Inductive Pulse Generator [pos]

7 = Inductive Pulse Generator [neg]

15 = Ignition Positive

16 = Coil Negative

Base = Ground

"Modules are are compatible with MEC or HEC type ignition coils"

This is how I have the wiring:

ignition2.jpg

If any1 can help me out with this I would be very thankful. Thanks again, Marc.

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt get the car back thurday but I did Sat. and when i powered up msns-extra it went bang....bloody c15 was dead. Which burnt out a few copper tracks, but thats all fixed now. But I tried today, and it didnt spark :(

But something is not right with my wiring anyway, because I get 9v during cranking (which would be normal) but when its sitting in the on position I'm getting no volts. But this doesn't explain why I dont get a spark in the cranking position.

I am getting 12v's to the trigger pin. So I dont know what is going on....Any ideas people?

The 12 volts that goes to the coil, ECU and HEI module has to be connected to a source that is on during cranking and running. You guys already know this but just wanted to re-iterate.

Also good to test the ECU on the stimulator to make sure it is working correctly before the install.

If you are using an 82 or 83 optical distributor with a pullup on the tach line like the schematic shows, then your setup will work correctly or.....

You have one of two issues:

1. Not the correct pinout for the 4 pin HEI module

2. Your ECU isn't fully functional (parts installed wrong, bad parts, etc)

The fact that C15 went bang (if it really did make a popping noise) then it was installed backwards(it is a polarized cap). I would re-check all polarized parts on the board, if one got installed backwards and the board does not work correctly on the stimulator.

when in doubt, reburn straight to MS code, check on stimulator with laptop connected, then reburn back to MSS and try again.

This is the process I started doing to make sure it wasn't in "the box"...

And in most cases, it wasn't. When it WAS in "the box" the thing just quit working altogether---havn't gone back to see why yet...

The pdf I was given gave me the wrong information about the pin outs which I wasn't too happy about but this is the email I got back from bosch:

"We would like to advise:

Pin 7 is positive trigger not negative. pin 3 is negative trigger.

This module needs a AC input not TTL. The correct Module for this set up

Is BIM137 which uses a Hall or TTL input.

If you use the 9220 061 021/024 module with this set up you have no dwell

control as the module cannot process the signal, it needs the zero

crossing point to work out dwell and current control ie an inductive

input."

• 5 years later...
Guest krislou80

A bad pick up coil can cause an excessive load on the ignition module. I had this problem with my '85 K5. I replaced about 5 modules in 2 months. Then I dropped a new distributor in it and didn't have any more problems.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AC DELCO IGNITION WIRE-- Constructed from high quality materials to help the engine run clean and longer; Features a copper-core center electrode; Engineered to high standards and tested under extreme conditions to exceed OE specifications; Delivers high quality and dependable performance