HybridZ

Struts and Sections

I often see many who cut and section there struts on z cars. And some who don't too.

I did do a search and found much but still have questions.

My questions are....

What is advantages and disadvantages and or fuctions to this process?

Is it just to gain move travel when the car is lowered?

If so then to me (with out knowing thing about this) it would seem like a win/win situation with no compromises having to balance or sacrifice.

Thanks everyone this site truly is the best place on the interent.

If so then to me (with out knowing thing about this) it would seem like a win/win situation with no compromises having to balance or sacrifice.

Its more then a win/win, its something that's required on a severly lowered early Z car. Without sectioning the car has almost no bump travel and will not handle well. It can even be dangerous in extreme situations with suspension parts banging together.

The key here is "severely lowered". Not all street Z drivers want to lower their cars, especially in the cold weather states where the roads resemble the Ho Chi Min trail at the height of operation rolling thunder.

What you are compromising is suspension travel and ground clearance when you decide to lower the car in the first place. Unsectioned struts and a stock ride height have more suspension travel.

Ok then how much can I lower a 240z car with out doing the sections?

Or same question but phrased in a different way, What is the minimum available strut travel distance needed for street use?

This is not a race car..... nor is it a daily driver. I just want to lower the ride height a bit. Thanks!

Brian

Ok then how much can I lower a 240z car with out doing the sections?

Or same question but phrased in a different way' date=' What is the minimum available strut travel distance needed for street use?

This is not a race car..... nor is it a daily driver. I just want to lower the ride height a bit. Thanks!

Brian[/quote']

Brian, If you are only lowering your Z a little, you should be fine without any mods other than the lowering springs themselves. Basically what's going on is, think about the position of the piston inside the damper. Ideally and likely stock positioning places the damper piston approximately mid travel in the damper. So, if one lowers thier Z by, let's say 2", without sectioning the strut, the piston location in the damper will be 2" into bump (compression) just sitting still, leaving a very small amount of useable bump travel. Are you begining to see what going on? Hope this helps.

question, are most people running bumpstops on sectioned struts with stiff springs and struts? I left mine off but its easy to pop some in if need be.

Oh and to add to this, my 260 was lowered a little over 2 inches and i was running tokico blues with ~200lb/in lowering springs. My front bumstops were absolutly shreaded, actually the ends were broken off and forced inside the base. Rear was fine, though.

-Austin