HybridZ

How much should this LT1 240Z go for?

Guest SpyderZ

Guest SpyderZ

I have a friend who is selling a 240Z with the whole LT1 drivetrain, this including the Vette rear end custom fit in there. He is so busy and he couldn't even post the car for sale but he told me he is selling it. This car still need to put all the interior back on. I want to buy this car but I have too many already. I am in Philly if any one interest in seeing this car please let me know. This guy has 4 more zcars just sitting in storage. Anyway how much should someone pay for this car? Assuming the car has very minimal rusts because it's been kept inside a building for the pass 15 years. Thanks

Interesting swap. Not that many people have done the vette rear ends.

Did he do the front suspension also?

As for price, gonna need a lot more info. Condition of paint, weatherstrip, dash, suspension, wiring, etc. mean about as much the drivetrain. The other big question IMO is how complete is the swap and how well done? Picts would be nice. Might also want to detail what other performance upgrades have been done (wheels and tires, brakes, engine mods and year, type of trans, upgraded guages). Just the typical stuff.

Guest SpyderZ

Lets assume the car is bone stock. I've heard he took the car out before and that was like 6 or 7 years ago and it's been sitting since. He got new paint job on it back then. How much would it cost to get the LT1 drivetrain and the labor to installed into a Z? I have some pictures that my wife took of the car. She couldn't get good pictures of the rear end that I asked her to get for me. I will post them when I get home.

Hi Vinh, or is it SpyderZ ? Anyway, check the block casting numbers,, that might be an old 1970 style LT1, but the intake is a single plane not alum 2 plane, and the carb is way to small, should be a 780 cfm. It has 240z axles, and I can't see for sure but I don't think that's a vette rearend. Get the casting # off the top of the block where the bellhousing bolt on by the dist. and I'll look it up.

Staledale

That's not a vette rear end. Looks like the stocker to me. When you said LT1 I thought fuel injected engine from the 90's. That looks like your basic SBC swap in the Scarab position. From the engine position I will *assume* automatic transmission.

Well whatever he wants for it he could double by just cleaning it up and posting new pictures. Early generation SBC swaps in decent, drivable shape often sell in the $5000 range. An empty, minimal rust 240 shell with no engine or transmission could sell for $3000 depending on whether it is truely low rust and the dash is cracked or not.

Me personnally, I would have to look at it up close, but I wouldn't offer the guy more than $1500, and that is truely if it is minimal rust. The car looks like it will need to be trailered where ever it goes and that engine is almost undoubtably going to need to be pulled and refreshed. Plus I don't like moon roofs in Z's.

Just my 2 cents. Try getting the block numbers. Maybe the engine is rare and worth more.

Thanks guys. I will go look at the car today. That guy also told my wife he got a low VIN numbers 240Z that he bought it from California and shipped it over here. I will try to get the nubmers on the block. If it doesn't have the Vette rear end I don't want it.

EvilC,

He wants 5K for it.

Staledale, yes SpyderZ is me also... I was at work.. and didn't want to change the account

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-under2.JPG

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-under3.JPG

Those 2 images look to not have a normal mustache bar in the mix. It also appears to have the up rights for the rear mount for the control arms bolted to the aluminum cross member for the vette diff. It does appears to have a vette diff.

strange.... looks like he use a corvette diff and mustache bar but used the stock 240 stuff for the rest. kind of a cool idea actually. bet that saved a lot of fab work adn gained the better diff only. much more viable option for some. the narrowed vette rear complete would be hella-good but this has got to bee way better than stock.

Guest SpyderZ

I just went and took some more pictures of the car. This car does have a Vette rear end in there. sorry I couldn't get the cast# on the block. He said it is from a 75 or 76 Vette. It does have an automatic trans and I forgot what type it was. Sorry I can't tell you the price but this 240Z is coming home with me. I wish he didn't put in that damn sun roof. He has 3 other Zcars for sale as well. Again his garage was filled with junks and I couldn't take pictures of all of them.

He got some custom shop to put in the whole drivetrain and he said they couldn't use the vette shafts. So they have to use the stock half shafts. He does have some suspension mods on the car too to support very wide wheels. Alright he lower it down to 4K and it's coming home with me..

wow Vinh you keep on working, you hopped to the 'darkside':) in an s30

Love your spider solution so it still lookslike a Z, wonder how this will come out... anyway do something about that oversprayed doorhandles and all, and as stated before that damn moonroof AKA garbage LID lol

In those pictures i could detect some polyuterane bushings, so you might not have to much work there

Frank

EvilC,

Yes I will take the yellow 240Z in the picture. That's the one with the SBC and the Vette rear end. He has another 280Z that he said is suppose to be in good shape and he wants 1000 for it. This car was burried behind all the machineries and I couldn't even get near it. He also have 2 other junkers that he wants to clean out also. He is keeping a red 240Z with everything original and low VIN #.

Give me time and I will check out the 280Z for you. When he clean everything up I will take pictures. This guy was serious about Zcar before and lost interest for now so he wants to clean them out. Don't worry I have a 280Z shell that I bought 5 years ago that has very little rusts on it. If I use this 240Z to make my Cobra Kit car I will have to sell the 280Z shell and the LS1 motor. I go to NY city all the time. It's not a bad of a drive. My other friend also have a spyder 240Z that he wants to get rid of too.. Let me know if you will take a trip down.

Frank,

If my Cobra Kit fits a 280ZX I would stay with a 280ZX lol.. I have 2 280Zs already and will be taking this 240Z home soon. If I end up using this 240Z for the Cobra Kit I will have to weld metal back to cover the sunroof.