HybridZ

ls1 possible coolant leak?

hey all, here's a pic of the back of my 01 ls1 engine. only 20k miles when i pulled it from the trans am ws6 wreck. i'm at a loss as to the grey/white powdery stuff in the middle of the pic as well as the reddish brown granular stuff above that. anyone have any ideas as to what it is or if i even need to worry about it? when i drained the coolant, it was green-i'm assuming it was changed after the car was in the accident [hit right front] but have no way to tell if it was the dextron compatable stuff.

here's a link ot the pic...

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1750

i really have no way to tell. i'm [i believe] the 4th owner. i powerwashed after the pic was taken-no chemicals, just plain water [found some old posts that the alum doesn't take too kindly to caustic liquids]. my first thought other than a leaking gasket is the fact that when i drained the coolant it was green and i've read gm recommends the dextron stuff which i believe is orange-due to it's more cooperative nature with aluminum.

figured i'd ask the experts and if there is a problem, tackle it before i drop in the engine...

clutch was hosed and the flywheel needed to be turned-after only 20,044 miles!