HybridZ

Oil Pressure Switch per JTR

Hi guys,

I have just tried a quick search looking for the part number for the Chrysler oil pressure fuel pump safety switch mentioned in the JTR manual. I came up with only one mention of this part number, and it was from a post back in 2001, the member suggested that he bought part #0418653 from a Chrysler dealer. However, he has yet to install it on his Z (as of 2001 that is).

I went to two parts stores last night and did not have much luck finding this part. At Advance Auto Parts the girl looked at me like I had the plague when I tried to explain to her about the part. I even took my JTR manual with me and showed her the picture of the switch and its description still no luck.

I went to Auto Zone next and the fellow there did come up with some part numbers. One was made by a company called Wells part# PS 121 and the other was a company called Neihoff part #OP23471.

Does anyone know what part number I should get? Oh yeah the reason I did not go ahead and get the one from Auto Zone is because last night the clerk could not get the computer to work due to an electrical storm here in NW GA. The part is not a stocked item and he had to order it. I figured that I would ask here before I try this purchase again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Jaime,

I went to the Advance Auto in the next town because they told me on the phone that they had the part in stock. So I race down there in my little Z of many colors only to find that he had looked up the wrong part. By the way it is always great to drive my Z car because people look at it like it like it is something they have never seen before. I even struck up a conversation with one of the store employees about the Z. It seems he once had a 240Z back in college and he commented on how well he liked the MSA front bumper and cowl hood on my Z. In fact he surmised that since I had the cowl hood he thought I already had a V8 in the Z.

Anyway I found and ordered the part from them and it should be in tomorrow. But now my quest turns to the steel pipe nipples. I went to Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware and finally Home Depot and none of these places had the steel pipe nipples that I needed. They had the brass ones at Home Depot but not the steel.

JTR Manual says: “To install the Datsun oil pressure sending unit and the Chrysler fuel pump safety switch, use the following hardware store items…â€

I never dreamed that finding these parts would be such an adventure. By the way do not go into a parts store and ask for a Chrysler fuel pump safety switch, trust me on this. It is listed as an “oil pressure switch.â€

Advance Auto part #OPS56 (1978 Dodge Omni)

Auto Zone part #’s Wells brand #PS121 and Niehoff brand #OP23471

...use the following hardware store items…â€[/b][/i]

Advance Auto part #OPS56 (1978 Dodge Omni)

Auto Zone part #’s Wells brand #PS121 and Niehoff brand #OP23471

Try ACE hardware if you have one near you. They had everything I needed in stock. There were no Home Depots or Lowes in CA when Mike first wrote the JTR manual. He probably went to a small local hardware store and viola, instant parts.

I went to a Crysler dealership to obtain (paid too much for) the correct parts. I'm wiser now and would have gone to Summit had I realized that I I could have swapped for another aftermarket brand...

Davy

Guest tony78_280z

Are you talking about the oil pressure switch that shuts off the fuel pump? If so I got an extra I'd be glad to send it to ya georgia seein how I owe ya. I got it from Carquest. Cost like $10.00, I cut out the picture from my JEGS mag describing the part. Took it up to em and said, I need one of these. Shortly there after I did away with my electric pump for the more reliable mechanical. SO I got a spare, provided I can dig it up. :confused2

Why bother with the Chrysler switch when you can get a fuel pump switch for an 80something Camaro from GM for like $8-10?

Well because the book, swap bible, Holy Grail of Datsun to V8 suggested the Chrysler switch that's why. If I had known I could get something else I would have. I just figured that since the writer of the manual suggested this obscure switch then there must be a reason for using it and only it…right? On the bright side it did cost less than $8 bucks. Oh the things you learn. :)

But it is funny that you should mention a switch from a Camaro because the clerk yesterday suggested the same thing. Even though I was frantically pointing at the black and white print in my JTR manual that said "use the oil pressure light/fuel pump switch from a 1978-1980 Dodge Omni or Plymouth Horizon."

Try ACE hardware if you have one near you.

Yep I tried them too with no luck.

Tony, hold on to that part! I will see if the parts store ordered the right part in about an hour. If they didn’t I will give you a shout.

Well because the book, swap bible, Holy Grail of Datsun to V8 suggested the Chrysler switch that's why

Yeah, I've come to not trust everything in that book ;) It's led me astray a few times and I've found better, cheaper, solutions to a few things in the book.

Glad you got what you needed, though!!

Well here she is boys in all her glory!

Chrysler_Oil_Pressure_switch.JPG

MFG #OPS 56

Oh and by the way, Davy, I went to another Ace Hardware store today and found what I needed as far as the steel nipples goes. However, they did not have the 1 1/4 inch as suggested by JTR so I got the next size they had, a 1 1/2".

Well here she is boys in all her glory!

MFG #OPS 56

Oh and by the way' date=' [b']Davy[/b], I went to another Ace Hardware store today and found what I needed as far as the steel nipples goes. However, they did not have the 1 1/4 inch as suggested by JTR so I got the next size they had, a 1 1/2".

Gosh, it is beautiful! *sniff* my Chrysler unit is ugly in comparison.

Glad you could at least get some of the parts from ACE. My local store had everything in droves. I guess it just depends on the store...

Davy

• 5 years later...