HybridZ

I've joined midnightzxt. MINE RUNS TOO. But I have a Q.

akeizm

Hey all,

I fired the Z up for the 1st time today for about 10 secs and I'm so damn happy! But I have a quick question. When setting up my timing using moby's newest map I could only get my timing to 35 - 38 btdc with the dizzy fully advanced. Would this cause too much of an issue? For basic engine specs look below.

L28e converted to Turbo (n42 block with dished pistons, p90 head)

New Bearings all round

New gaskets all round

New rings

t04e/t3 hybrid turbo

440cc supra injectors

walbro 255 fuel pump

Optospark Ignition (damn thing saved me alot of money)

Only run 98 Octane Unleaded Petrol (Thought I'd add it)

But yea, is it bad to run the thing @ 35 - 38 btdc? Heh my car wants to live and not turn off. I turned the key into the off position but it kept running smooth hahahah but how can it if the relay that provides power is off.

Anyway, thanks Marc.

Phasing the distributor and rotor can be a little tricky, but if you are using an (edit 82-83) optical distributor it should be straight forward. Following the directions given with the MSnS code. One thing is to get you trigger angle to match when the tach signal triggers from the distributor. THe other is to make sure your rotor lines up close enough to the post on the cap for all timing (~5-40 degrees). Their recommendation is to get it centered on the post at about 20 degrees.

That was a typo, I meant 82-83.

my trigger angle is like 50.. it'll be different for all cars.

It doesn't have to be different. Everyone that is using an 82-83 distributor can set their trigger angle the same (like 50) and then adjust the distributor until timing is correct and then we would all have the same setup.

I've got the car @ 50btdc but I can't find a tigger point, or even @ 40 for that matter. Is it possible to open up the dizzy and rotate the optical disk? I should have added its an 83 Dizzy heh. But the main question is, is it safe to run with the car set @ that timing?

First, Congrats.

You should have a trigger point almost anywhere you put it,since it fires realitively frequently.

also, I found it best to set the timing using the fixed angle at about 10 BTDC (easiest to see) and matching it up by moving the distributor.

Maybe I'm not answering your question cuz I don't really get it,

Mario