HybridZ

300ZX Turbo/non Turbo CV axles 1984-1989

Guest zfan

Guest zfan

I am looking at picking up some CV axles for my Modern Motorsports CV conversion on my 240Z. I am currently running A 300ZXT 3.70 r200 with 280Z u-joint half shafts. I am using the 300ZXT conversion kit and was wondering if all CV axles, Turbo or Non Turbo 1984 thru 1989 were the same.

My wrecking yard is full of non Turbo 300ZX's but no Turbo's. Are the CV axles the same? If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike as long as you dont get the 1988 SE turbo axles they are all the same spline wise. My current diff came out of a 1985 non turbo and the axles were 4 bolt. The 87 and 89 axles are the same splines as mine. However if you find a 1988 SE axle set Ill take em!

Terry

THe research I did indicated that the non-turbo axles are 6-bolt and the turbo axles are 4-bolt as stated above. I pulled my axles from an 84 turbo and used Ross's conversion kit for the install. Very high quality and everything fit perfectly.

Wheelman

The Z31 _non_ turbo CV axles visually appear to be identical to the 280ZX Turbo CV axles but they are sightly longer (by about an inch) in length. You can differentiate between these axles by the spring recess in the sheet metal end caps. This recess is longer on the 280ZX axles.

I believe that Ross is working on a conversion kit for the non turbo Z31 axles as the supply of these is more plentiful then the 280ZX turbo axles.

THe research I did indicated that the non-turbo axles are 6-bolt and the turbo axles are 4-bolt as stated above. I pulled my axles from an 84 turbo and used Ross's conversion kit for the install. Very high quality and everything fit perfectly.

Wheelman

Wheelman is correct. All Z31 300ZXT's had the 4 bolt 29 spline CV half shaft. The non turbos had the weaker tripod 6 bolt 29 spline design. If you are using Ross' Z31T half shaft adapters, you will need the half shafts from a Z31T with the 4 bolt reciever. DO NOT GET THE SHAFTS FROM THE WHITE 88SS!! THEY ARE DESIGNED TO WORK WITH THE VLSD THAT WAS AVAILABLE IN THAT CAR ONLY!

More info on my site. I did exactly what you are trying to do.

http://www.magshooterz.com/z31_cv_conversion.htm

Guest zfan

Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate it. I have the passenger side but need to find the drivers side as the one I have has seen better days. Off to the wrecking yard..Thank God for pick -n- pulls.

Mike