HybridZ

HOT ROD tricks... side view mirror door latch mod

JaysZ

has anyone heard or seen of this? i would like to shave my door handles and locks.. before i do that though, i heard about a trick popular in the hotrod/lowrider scene. what they do is have the sideview mirror rotate-able (it could actually be anything really... just be creative ) and attached to the door latch. when the mirror (or whatever else) is rotated, it pulls the latch and releases the lock, allowing the door to be opened.

i was thinking, it could be rigged so that the mirror could be rotated and when fully turned, two electric points will touch and activate an actuator in the door. this will eliminate the need for remotes (and the fear of a dead battery in the remote). this would kinda be like the hidden remote switch but in "trick" form :)

problem is, if someone sees you do it, they know how to get into your car. i dunno. i thought this might be a cool idea nevertheless.

discuss.. :)

Guest ON3GO

my friend has something like that on his old grand prix...

he slides the mirror back and it opens the door.

im not sure how he did it but i know he used the stock latch and as many stock parts he could.

its very trick i think.

mike

you can also get a magnet sensor that triggers your solenoids. you just carry around a small magnet on your key chain, run it over the "secret" spot on the outside of your car and bam...doors open.

seems less complicated that rigging up some sort of cable, or pull system that may break or snap or bind at anytime.

you can also get a magnet sensor that triggers your solenoids. you just carry around a small magnet on your key chain' date=' run it over the "secret" spot on the outside of your car and bam...doors open.

seems less complicated that rigging up some sort of cable, or pull system that may break or snap or bind at anytime.[/quote']

wow that is a REALLY cool idea! do you know a website that shows how do wire it up and all?

here is a good start,

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/entry_systems.html

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/entry_system_tip1.html

the name of this kit is the "StreetWorks MagTech Magnet Entry System"

its been a while since i've been into customs rods and what not....but most of the kits are advertised in custom rodder or rodz magazine. anywho...hope this helps!

Guest Phil1934

That may be the way to go if you are not a scrounger. If you are, the reed switch and magnet off a burglar alarm for a door will do. You can thread the magnet right on your keychain. You would still need the relays and solenoids.

Does that magnet kit include the poppers? Doesn't look like it...get a popper set from Summit or something and get the reed switches from an alarm shop or ebay. Should be real easy to do. I'd still put in a cable release (hidden) in case you lose all power.

What's that Australian car site with all the articles, some that are pay-to-read? They had a free article on how to wire up a starter or ignition kill using a reed switch. That site should give you all the info you need.

PS. Make sure if you take your car to a track, that lack of door handles aren't illegal. I guess you can roll your window down and use a net.

PS. Make sure if you take your car to a track' date=' that lack of door handles aren't illegal. I guess you can roll your window down and use a net.[/quote']

excellent point..i never thought about that. eventually, i would like to take my car to the track but it probably wont be ready for that for another year or so at the very least. the net would probably be my best bet huh? does that mean i have to get in and out dukes of hazzard style? :)

Does that magnet kit include the poppers? Doesn't look like it...get a popper set from Summit or something and get the reed switches from an alarm shop or ebay. Should be real easy to do. I'd still put in a cable release (hidden) in case you lose all power.

What's that Australian car site with all the articles' date=' some that are pay-to-read? They had a free article on how to wire up a starter or ignition kill using a reed switch. That site should give you all the info you need.

PS. Make sure if you take your car to a track, that lack of door handles aren't illegal. I guess you can roll your window down and use a net.[/quote']

Owen,

are you thinking of http://autospeed.drive.com.au/?

i'm ready to purchase, if it isnt too much. should i go ahead and order the full kit or try to piece it myself?

also, it says that i would have to mount it behind plastic or something NOT metal. if i shave the handles, where would i put the sensor? i dont want to make it so obvious i have to wave the "key" in some ridiculous location ...

I ordered the MagTech part# L20S (single door) and all necessary wiring and solenoids.. came out to be $149.95 after ground shipping. Mounting the magnet receiver might be tricky since it has to be under plastic or glass and i dont have any interior panels, so hopefully i can hide it well.

Question: since I'm running a Hella battery cutoff to the car, could I run the power to the solenoids straight off the battery and wire a hidden kill switch that cuts power to the magtech sensor? this way even if someone knew how i opened my door but not where the switch was, they couldnt open my door...

BTW, their customer service gets two thumbs up. very friendly and knowledgeable about the questsions i asked(i spoke with Ron). i highly recommend them, but i'll have to wait and see as far as the quality of parts! i'll post pics of the pkg when i get it.