HybridZ

Yokohama ES100 update

So i decided to buy a set of Yoko AVS ES100 225/15/50 as per this thread - here and i think i made a mistake. I've had the car on the road about 5 times since i've put these on (at the same time, i swapped back to a Nissan 5sp from the BW-T5) and each time i've got on the pedal hard and boosted about 16psi in second, the back just breaks loose and i'm all over. This never happened with the Dunlop Sport 5000's. I'm hoping once it gets into the warmer temps outside (average around 60deg here in NJ now) that these tires will have some more bite. Whats strange is that the Dunlops are 340AA A, and the Yoko's are 280AA A. I was hoping they'd be a better/softer tire but it's not looking that way. Just wanted to lend the info.

J - I have ES100s on my ZXT (215/45/17 front) and 235/45/17 rear. I am running 10psi on my ZXT, and the car does not break loose, although I feel it wanting to the odd time. They are good tires but definately not the best street tire, in restropsect I wish I would have bought the Parada Spec-2 for my car as I have those on my Turbo Corolla. The Spec-2 are definately are more aggressive street tire.

Yasin

Slownrusty: One thing you need to remember though is he is in a s30. I have driven both and I think the zx hooks up better because of the squat that was designed into the suspension. I'm not talking about a full drag setup but for a mild to moderated suspension the s30 will the spin the tires easier than the zx. Jersey, yeah i've noticed the es 100 have less grip than some of the higher treadwear rating tires. I have some bfgoodrich g-force sports on the rear and es 100 on the front both 225/50/15. And I can tell a huge difference in traction between the two. My favorite street tire so far has been the falken azenis. They just don't have them in the 225 size that I wanted.

Hi All,

Well I put some BFG G-Force Sports (225/50/15) on my 77 and went autocrossing over the weekend and dropped about 5 seconds off of my time from my last run. To me the Sports hook up really well and can hang a corner. Now when I was really getting on it the backend would get a bit squirrelly but that is to be expected. Currently I am only running about 7 psi on my ZT setup but the handling is great. Also at the price of $81 each that was better then most out there. I really wanted the Falken Azenis in the same size but they are not offering them yet.

HB280ZT

Guest TegRacer324

That's kind of weird considering that the 5000's are an all season and the ES100's are summer tires. I had the Parada Spec 2's on my Integra and those things stuck good. Now I have the Hankook V212 and I'm really not that impressed so far. Hopefully they improve in a couple hundred miles or something.

Also tires for drifting aren't slick. They like to be able to stop the drift so they use stickier tires than you'd think.

I hope i'm not coming across as the Yoko's are a bad tire. It's just what i've noticed, with my Z, with the set i bought. I was really hoping i'd get a little better grip considering they are summer tires compared to the "all season" Dunlop 5000's like you mentioned Teg and also thought they'd be softer, grippier tire since they have a lower treadwear grade and the same traction/temp grades as the 5000's. I've run them at 30, 28 and even tried 26 but felt 28psi was right about where they should be. I haven't done too much major driving on them yet (probably 50 miles total and pushed them twice, three times) and the nights have been cool (high 40's, low 50's) so maybe they just need a little more time and warmer weather to start to really hook. Otherwise, you may just see all four Eagle wheels and newly mounted ES100's on ebay shortly :shock: Then again, maybe i'm just LOOKING for an excuse to change rims. LOL. Thanks for the replies all.

My_Wheels.JPG

Jersey,

I am not an expert on this, but on the track days I ran at Buttonwillow in CA when it was 60 outside 32psi was like driving on ice in some spots. Your pressure doesn't seem that high, but the outside temp seems like a factor. I say you wait until it warms up a bit before casting final judgement. I am really curious how much of a difference it will me. I expect you to notice a difference; question is how much will it be.

Good luck