HybridZ

need advice: Wheel Studs

I'm in the middle of assembling all new drivetrain and brake parts on my 240. I'm kind of stuck on what to do here. I have the MML stub axles and I'm using the AZC 5 lug brakes.

The rear stub axles have 1/2 ARP wheel studs, Very Nice (which will be used in the rear)! And the AZC wheels have 12mm studs up front. Now, idealy I would like to have matching sized studs on all four corners.

I've figured the best way to go is to install new 1/2" studs up front. ( No sense in installing SMALLER studs in the rear, plus the holes in the rear are too big for 12mm studs anyways )

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this successfully? The front hubs are aluminum and will need to be drilled to accept new 1/2" studs. I have called ARP and spoke with a tech there about knurl/length options. I must say the guy at ARP was very knowledgable and helpfull!

The tolerances are very tight (within 7 or 8 thousands).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe I should just leave it alone and have mix-match stud sizes....

Thanks, I did consider that option. However, opening up the holes on the alum. hub to accomodate the bigger 1/2" studs would still be necessary. That's really my biggest concern. Is it OK to drill the front hubs to allow the use of bigger studs? Should this procedure be done on a drill press? There was one particular machinist who said he could drill the hubs by hand (power drill) and the studs would "align themselves once the pressed up against the backing"? This seemed a bit risky to me, so I wanted to see if anyone else has done this successfully!

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble and expense just to have matching size studs. No one is going to notice the difference and it is not like the 12mm studs (compared to 13mm) are weak. I have been running 12mm studs on all my cars and with Weld Draglites/slicks on the rear of the Z not being hub-centric.

So, would it be best to achieve this by using a drill press?

Yup and you should also use a nice machinist vice or a good clamping system. And Scotty's right too, 12mm and 1/2 studs are about equal in strength if they are made the same way.