HybridZ

Anybody use these parts on there Turbo Z's? questions.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Okay im getting parts that i need to replace to get my Z back together.

My Clutch and flywheel are well pass gone and my oil pump needs to be replaced too.

Clutch:

Okay I found this clutch for a great price but im not sure if it would be okay to use.

Its a Clutch Masters FX500... heres the info it tells me about it.

"The FX500 System uses the Power Plus II Pressure Plate with the Sintered Iron disc or Rigid three or four puck discs. It is designed for maximum holding capacity with no compromises. Using a Sintered Iron friction material, the FX500 holds all the power and rapidly dissipates unwanted heat.

Warning: The FX500 is a Solid Hub disc that engages and disengages instantly and may chatter upon starting from a stop. This is a Race Only Clutch."

reason im thinking about it is its at a CHEAP price, well under 300 bucks.

Now the more "streetable" FX400 CM's clutch is almost 500 bucks, thats a big jump!

The FX300 clutch thats cheaper then the 400 looks like it wont hold my Torque on my L28ET, and plus i want it to last as ill be racing the car alot.

On the other side of the pond i found a ACT clutch thats 6-puck and say its supports 512lbs max of torque, and its 336 bucks.. still not as cheap as the top of the line CM's but cheaper then the 2nd strongest Clutch Masters.

im not sure what to get, or if i should even get one of these clutchs.

Any thoughts?

Flywheel:

Does Anybody have any say on what one is better then others?

found a Clutch Masters and also a Fidanza unit thats 10lbs for 300 bucks but it doesnt say if its the 240mm unit i need.

Now the 300zx Z31 unit is 40 bucks more but 11lbs and i think that flywheel works for L28ET's too (right?).

What are some of you guys with some nicely built L28ET's run for a oil pump?

my stocker is leaking pretty bad the last time it was running.

Cam:

Okay im not doing this yet... im really doing my research for both the Hulk Z and this blue Z.

The Cam's im looking at is from Schneider.

The one for the green Z is their 300-F grind # cam, the Adv.

Duration is 300, the .050" Duration is 256, Valve Lift is .560" and Valve

lash is .010" .012". Lobe Sep. is 106.

I know i need thicker lash pads and im sure i can get them when i order the cam (right?). But what else would be a good thing to get while i upgrade the cam? This cam is for a P90 head thats been worked pretty well for the Green Z. Should i go with The same brand springs and retainers as the cam? Schneider offers them but it doesnt list a "kit" for this big of a cam.

any advice?

The Blue Z cam im looking at is Grind # 290-F. Its less aggressive as Adv.

Duration is 290, .050" Duration 250, Valve Lift .495", Valve Lash is .008" .010".

Lobe Sep. is 106. Now they do offer a kit for this Cam. again is smart to get all the same brand or should i look at other companys, and if so who makes good parts?

Is Schneider worth going to for cams or should i look into other companys like Web-Cams or COMP cams?

Thanks guys

Mike

My buddy ran that sintered iron clutch with no springs on a 240sx, same brand. Not as bad as I thought it would be, little too stiff for me but youll probably love it. One thing that bugs me about that clutch is the chatter, theres a lot of it unless you get right off the clutch when moving from a stop, which can take some time to get used to.

Both of those cams seem really wrong for a turbo motor. You don't want that much overlap. I have something very similar to the small one right now. Works OK, but the big one might be nice to try...

See the turbo cam selection at the bottom of this page: http://www.schneidercams.com/cams/50.htm Note the lobe separation and the shorter duration. You really don't want both valves open at the same time for such a long time with a turbo. Just forces a lot of the intake charge into the exhaust.

I wonder if Sunbelt makes those cool single valve spring cams in a turbo grind...

You're going to need a pretty healthy clutch for your green car, but your blue one would probably be OK with a heavy pressure plate and a stock disk, and if you went that way it would be a lot easier to drive on the street too.

I've seen Fidanza flywheels, but not the Z one. They look good. I'd buy one.

Guest ON3GO

the green Z has a heavy heavy duty Clutch Masters Clutch in it already.

the blue Z will be pretty powerful when on the road.

bigger turbo, 20psi, CO2 injection into the fuel rail, bigger injectors, different exhaust, metal headgasket, port and polish work and etc. so thats why looking into the heavy duty clutch.

what would you guys recommend for a cam for a turbo car?

the green Z is more for road racing and some street/drag racing.

Blue Z is pretty much 100% street and drag racing.

The green Z really needs to rev up higher as it just revs up really fast from what alex told me and it just wants to go and go.

thanks guys

Mike

As far as cams go, I just ordered my turbo cam from Web Cams. It's a 155 grind with the lobe center moved to 112. 488 lift and 230 duration @ .50. If you order from web cams, you can get the cam a little cheaper if you go throught Import Performace Parts. I don't know if they'll let you custom spec the cam or not tho...

Webcams will do a custom grind for you if you know what you want... I wanted a 510 lift cam, 266* duration, and wanted the lobe center of 114*. They told me that it would not be a problem, and they could custom grind the cam I wanted. Unfortunately, a week later, they called me back to tell me that their cam grinder could not do the 114* lobe center, so I just cancelled my order and will order from someone else who can give me what I want.

On a sidenote, I plan on dynoing the car (currently stock longblock and stock cam with SP57 turbo, external wastegate, TEC II, 550cc injectors, Spearco intercooler, etc and 17 psi) right before and then right after the cam change w/o changing any parameters to see what kind of improvement the cam upgrade will have on the car. I'll post results once it gets done.

Guest ON3GO

thanks Zgad.. ill keep my eye open for that.

i guess ill just start ordering parts for the blue Z.

im gonna order everything i need to finish it up.

plus a part or 2 for the green Z.

mike