HybridZ

Roll cage stiffen chassis?

Do you guys think that the MSA roll cage, or any cage with this similar design will significantly stiffen the chassis on my 280Z? I am thinking about handling, tuning, and chassis stiffening lately and I also like the added safety aspect of a cage. I would want removable door bars for around town but that is not really part of the question.

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PIC08

i put the autopower rollbar i got from jmortensen, and holy crap, HUGE improvement in rear stability and chassis flex. I can only imagine what a rollcage would do.

in short, yes. be sure it's welded in properly though

The benefits of a bolt-in roll bar or cage in a 280Z will be less then the benefits of the same to a 240Z. On street driven car I do not recommend a roll cage. Roll cages and SFI roll cage padding are designed to protect a helmetted person. An unprotected head will get hurt if it hits a part of the roll cage structure even if there is SFI padding on it.

Actually, on the way home from work today, I was driving the Z and I was thinking that the roll cage would be really close to my head. Maybe I really only need a rear bar that ties the rear deck and towers into the floor pan rails and possibly a cross-connector between the floor-pan frame rails.

You don't need to tie the rear deck into anything. Any bracing that goes there is ONLY providing fore aft bracing for the roll hoop. You have to tie into the rear strut towers and tie in as far outboard on the strut towers as possible to get any chassis stiffening.