HybridZ

300zx rear rotor on 280zx

Heres a project I've been working to compliment the Wilwoods for the front of my ZX. I've only put about 200 miles on this combo and alot of that was just tring to make sure nothing was going to fall off before I gave it some real testing. Seems like it works good nothing crazy but, certainly better than the stock setup but I think it needs better pads to balance it out better. Sorry the pics are so big

brake_stuff_017.jpg

brake_stuff_016.jpg

brake_stuff_015.jpg

brake_stuff_014.jpg

brake_stuff_013.jpg

brake_stuff_009.jpg

brake_stuff_008.jpg

Is the bigger rotor really going to help if the pads are still only contacting the same amount of rotor surface as when they were on the original rotors? Would this help with brake fad by distributing the heat through the larger rotor?

Guy

Is the bigger rotor really going to help if the pads are still only contacting the same amount of rotor surface as when they were on the original rotors? Would this help with brake fad by distributing the heat through the larger rotor?

Guy

This was the basic thinkning that I had when I got started with this project. I'm happy I did it all now that it's done. I think one day I'll buy another control arm and find another OE caliper that has larger pads and will hook up to our e-brake cable. So far the more I've used them the better the setup is working. My Porterfiels R4s pads for the front still haven't shown up so I'm still waiting for them to show for more real testing.

so what are the sizes for both rotors? Do they have the same offset and thicknes at the mounting surface to the stub axel?

The 300zx rotor is 11.5" and the ZX rotor is 10"

Is offset is almost the same but, not quite. I knew I should have writen all the measurements down. :icon8:

I've got some pics of everything on the car in the "Brakes" section of my website.

Guest Aaron

Have you considered the 87.5-89 turbo rotors and calipers? They are also 11.5", but are vented. On paper it looks good to me.

Ya, that's what I'm planning to use. 1987 brakes front and rear. Even the front rotors have different part numbers than all pre '87.

I see that 87-89 rear rotors are the same for turbo and NA.

87-89 front rotors have different part numbers for turbo and NA. I don't know what the difference is. I have an 87 NA parts car to pull all my parts from. I figure I'll just go with the 300ZX calipers too so the shape and pad surface matches what it was made to go with. (for what its worth) I would have to make caliper adaptors anyway. Brake line adjustments will be easy in comparison.