HybridZ

Experience needed for V8 conversion...?

Guest Anonu

I’ll straddle the middle between the ebullient optimists and somber pessimists. Yes, it CAN be done in reasonable time with a reasonable budget. But it’s very easy to get carried away, to allow the project to spiral out of control, and to end up with years and years down the drain and nothing to show for it.

First, costs. Costs will vary enormously depending on your skills and luck with “wheeling and dealingâ€. Example: Awd92gsx says that he scored a 1977 donor Chevrolet with 350 engine, evidently in running condition. That’s the engine, transmission, accessories, and all sorts of “nickel and dime items†all in one package, for $500. If you can find deals like that, your budget could be quite reasonable. But that’s a big IF!!! And, you have to be satisfied with the constraints of your purchase (in this case, the automatic transmission that came with the car). Personally, I have more than $500 just in the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and throwout bearing in my car – in fact, it’s around $1000.

Second, skills. Theoretical knowledge is great, and it’s too often deprecated by shadetree mechanics. In doing a relatively basic swap, of the type that you propose, the main area where practical knowledge is so precious isn’t the swap process itself, or even custom fabrication, but familiarity with the donor engine. Things like setting the timing, tuning the carburetor, and so forth – elementary, perhaps – but essential. And the JTR book won’t explain them.

Third, time and resources. Even if you have access to a garage and spare money, finish your university degree first, then worry about a Hybrid Z.

So here is a suggested plan: (1) see item 3 above; (2) buy a decent, inexpensive donor vehicle, and drive that vehicle for a while; (3) constantly be on the lookout for Datsuns. As you already know, Datsuns are next to extinct in the midsection of North America, and Ontario is no exception.

By the way, I’ll be in Ottawa next month (doing some research at NRC).

If your doing this for a lurning experiance you've picked the right thing. I'm 7 grand deep and 3+ years and going. You'll become addicted and the car and it will never be done. You'll get to put you think you know to the test because once you get into it, there's no takeing it to the local Nissan dealership to tell you what's wrong. You'll lurn things out of nesesity. My cars parked right now and I'm hopeing to put more than the 500 miles that I did last summer on it this summer. It really is a matter of priority, if it is important to you and you are diven you can do it. If you let it slide onto the back burner like I have it can be there a long time for excuses of lack of money and time.

Well,

I will be honest...I looked for over a year for a cheap donor vehicle. You might call around and see if there are any kind of hot-rod swaps. The donor vehicle I bought wasn't running...they got frustrated and after sitting for a couple of years I got it cheap.

The only problem it had was they had accidentally blocked the fuel filter inlet on the carb with a paper o-ring type gasket. I spent $14 on the Q-jet rebuilding it and haven't had a problem since.

The faster you want to get it done the more it will cost, unfortunately.

Basically it works like this

Cheaply

Quickly

Completely

Pick any two.

Guest Anonu

I'd be all over this so fast if it werent' for space. I just need a friend with a farm or something. Then I'll do it it cheaply and completely. I don't really car about how long it takes, I want to do it right.