HybridZ

VG30DE or VG30DETT

tfreer85

Okay I'm looking at engines for my VG swap and I don't know which one to buy. Here is what i'm going to do to either engine once i get it:

Forged Pistons and Rods

Upgrade Camshafts

Full Balance

Custom Exhaust Manifolds for Twin Turbo's

Port and Polish Heads and Intake Manifold

Standalone Computer Upgrade

New Wiring Harness

I can buy VG30DE for around $1,000 and replace everything for a twin turbo setup. However I can't find a 5 speed for it and am wondering if the late 80's model transmission will work? Or I can buy a VG30DETT for around $2,200 including a 5 speed and both turbos(which I intend to upgrade/replace anyways) then do all the same (pistons etc.) upgrades. Personally I'm thinking the VG30DE because its base price is less and considering i'm setting it up for twin turbos anyways seems to be the better deal. Does anybody see a draw back to this that i'm not seeing?? I'm wanting to be in the low 11's high 10's on the drag strip yet still be streetable daily driver with boost turned down, and the occasional autoX stuff. Yes i'm going to add all the suspension, brake, and safety mod's galore to it and am already mostly there. Also i'm going for around 500-600HP on the street, with around 700HP for the strip.

Thanks,

Tyson

What is the car you're planning on putting it into?

How much will a 5-speed for the VG30DE cost and how hard are they to find?

Will the older tranny stand up to the HP you plan to make?

Seems to me you already answered your own question when you say you'll replace or modify everything except the basic block. Unless the search for a 5-speed that's compatible with the VG30DE turns out to be a lost cause then go that direction otherwise the VG30DETT will eliminate that variable because it comes with one.

The real question is "How much is it worth to you to have to search out a tranny for the VG30DE?"

Wheelman

Finding a regular NA tranny wouldn't be that hard, there are tons of junkyards around me that would carry them. However i don't think they will hold the HP. Though this isn't really in the transmission section and is kinda of base is there chance to ge a 6 Speed for it. I mean i'm willing to fork out the money for a really solid and reliable transmission. I'm looking at a 300ZXclub.com right now on some guy doing a NA to Twin. A question is can the are the Turbo and NA's transmission interchangeable? The car is a '72 240Z. Guess i should have posted this in the Transmissions.

Just for everyone's info the NA Transmission from a 90-95 300ZX will not mount directly up to the Turbo Motor from the same year car. I'm not for sure what the difference is just check with 300zxclub.net . I'm only recomending another forum because of the limited info on this particular engine any other engine stick to hybridz its the only one worthwhile.

Guest ZFien

Well IMO if you are putting it in a car wher the VG30DETT would fit then i would go with that but alot of times when people try to swap the TT engine there's alot of custom fab. work that has to be done. Both engines though are well enough to make the power that your seeking and both engines are bullet proof engines. If you go with the VG30DE why make it a TT motor? Why not stick with a single T setup?

Guest ZFien

A few guys on 300zxclub have single turboed VG30DE engines and they have done a successful job on it as well. TT engines are a big hassle to maintence and take care of plus your not getting an advantage to having it anyway other than quicker spooling. But that can be changed with the kinda turbocharger you are using. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

the 5speed from the TT and NA is the same. The only difference is the bell housing. To mount a TT tranny to the NA motor, all you need is a TT flywheel and clutch. To mount the NA tranny to the TT motor with a TT clutch/flywheel, you'll need to grind out the bellhousing a bit and shim the starter out a little. I just finished an auto-manual conversion on my Z32, and I got my tranny for 400 bux in excellent condition. I've seen them go for as much as 800 and as little as 250 in working condition.

TFreer85,

One thing to be aware of when dropping either of those engines into a 240 is that it is going to mean notching the framerails. Not sure if this is something you want to do but its required to fit them in. I don't remember who the guy is but one of the members here put a VG into an S30 chassis and it required lots of fab work so it can be done, the swap turned out very nice. Do a search and you might be able to pull the thread up, but it's very old by now.

Wheelman