HybridZ

Okay is this a easy fix or no..

Guest ON3GO

Look into using heavy wall keen-serts in the holes that are screwed up. The drill size is bigger, and that should allow you to fully remove all evidence of a crooked hole. On top of that, the threads are solid (not a helical wire), which will be stronger. They are more expensive than helicoils, but worth a try.

I posted here before about having crooked rocker stud holes in my Alum. World Sportman Heads, and they did not care at all. I am SOL as far as those are concerned. I just had to make it the best I could.

Good Luck,

Joshua

Are the studs on located on one side or on oppiste sides?? Well the right thing to do is Legal Action but if you are hell bent on saving this block which I can under stand. I would hunt for a welder with a large oven and get him to out the bad areas out and weld them together and then bring the block back down to temp in the oven. My instructor at the college used to work for GM in a pattern shop and knows all about welding cast iron so if you need to know what rod to you I'll ask him. If you do this I'll send you the print dimensions for the head bolt pattern to get them back in alingment. I only wish you were closer, then I would just give you a block.

tbs

Guest ON3GO

told them im gonna take the to court if they dont do something quick.

he started to stumble his words so i said "you will hear from my lawyer soon"

if i get my money back and then some for all the extras i have in this motor, i can tell you this a L28ET wont be going back in this Blue Z.

mike

Everyone speaking "go legal" on them is damn straight. I'm like Terry on this one Mike ! They have taken a stock block and prepped it for a standard rebuild........faulty prep or workmanship will never have an excuse. They owe you a FULL refund legally for any services rendered related to the block. If you bitch loud enough about your legal intentions....you may even get them cover your block JY replacement. But you'll need to have that figure ready to negtioate at the moment they cave, not later or they will most undoubtably renig.

You come across as "too nice" and this D"""head is clearly trying to make you just go away. Big stick time........enough walking quietly !

Good Luck...........Vinny 8)

I think you should take it to small claims court but don't use an attorney (some of these courts don't allow counsel anyhow). Just do it pro se, most of the forms are standardized and available from the website of the county clerks office (most likely district court clerk).

Photograph the block to have exhibits and put two small levels along surfaces of block and stud to demonstrate that there is not a 90 degree relationship as there should be. Use some of these posts as exhibits because these are opinions grounded in extensive experience and its unanimous that the machine shop did shoddy work and owes you a properly prepared block. Get a couple of price quotes from ebay sales (don't disclose the free block offer) to represent the price of a serviceable block (get 3 winning bids for comparable blocks; the highest $ you can find).

You might find some restitution through the court and it's probably worth a shot. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. The shop owner stands to be humiliated and his shop's reputation ruined so he might magically pipe up with $200 if you drop the action you initiate. Some courts have an advocate you can make an appt with for free advice. I would go for a $ reimbursement rather than having them "fix it." Don't have them touch anything else, they will likely screw up again.

As to your block, Jon had a suggestion that might be feasable in removing the helicoils and using larger bolts. When I grafted the L28 N42 head onto the LD28 shortblock that I'm running, I had to drill all headbolt holes larger to accommodate the 12mm bolt size of the LD28 block vs the 10mm bolts of the L28 block. I used some of the LD28 headbolts and used some BMW headbolts (jy) where needed since some of the LD28 headbolts are different lengths than the L28. The thing I'm not sure about is if the L28 block will accommodate the 12mm bolts OK since the LD28 has a bit more metal due to the 84.5mm bore (86mm for L28).

If it were me, I'd probably take the photos of damage done, then try to work with what you have by heating the stud, slipping a piece of 1/4" pipe over the stud and bending it upright using a builder's square on the block, then trying to quench the stud to keep hardness. I'm sure there will be input as to why this is a bad idea but I'd try that rather than any more machining or welding of the block or head. Best case is you can use the block and you end up with a bit of money from small claims court award to compensate for the PITA it all was. DAW