HybridZ

Please help with cheap suspension setup

I have a 73 240z. My entire suspension is shot. At a minimum, I need to replace the struts and springs.

Now I've read a bunch of stuff about cutting the strut tubes and rewelding them, but still don't really get why this needs to be done...

Basically I want a good street suspension for now. It needs to be lowered, sorta stiff, and done cheaply.

I'd love to get some input from you guys on such a setup, and wether I need to do the cutting thing. If you can refer me to specific brands, that would be awesome.

Eventually this setup will come out of the car, but for now... I need something to keep me from losing my mind driving this everyday. The suspension is so mushy right now its not even funny. :redface:

You don't need to cut the struts to install that kit. SECTIONING the struts is what you're talking about, and a search on sectioning will get you all the why's and how's of doing it. If you're just going a little lower you don't need to section, but if you are going to really lower the car it is necessary. For a street car I wouldn't bother. Do something like the kit you linked to and maybe some poly bushings and sway bars and that you'll have that thing feeling 100% better.

Sweet. Do you think I should replace the swaybars, or just do the bushings on them?

It has a rear swaybar installed right now... (I guess someone added it years ago) but the bushings are completely shot.

I'm just wondering if its worth it to replace the stock bars, really.

Thanks for the word on sectioning (I said cutting, what a moron) I really won't ever lower my car that much, so I guess I don't need to worry about it.

I have put that same kit on my car from the same ebayer. I like it a lot. It is way stiffer over stock. Not too stiff either. It is a comfortable ride and I can corner way harder than before. I have heard new sway bars make a big difference if you upgrade the diameter. But go with the suspension. It is easy to instal and make a nice improvement.

Oh, and I think I paid less for them than what is on ebay right now. Email him and find out if he has any others and what he would sell them at. I bought mine like year ago, so he should have more.

Thats actually a pretty good price for a 'kit' package.. I've got KYB GR2's in the rear, and planing the front instal this week (along with a brake upgrade, and hopefully some difrent springs) So far, I've got about $300 into JUST the struts.. and they're only KYB's! :shock: Oh well.. I'm happy with them anyway.. The rear feels a lot better and doesn't rattle around like last year.

I'd ditch the rear sway bar, and try to find a bigger diameter front bar. I noticed a HUGE difrence in handeling when I instaled my 7/8" front bar.. If you have the cash flow, go with the poly bushings evrywhere too ... I'm Mr el-chepo so I re did all my bushings with regular old rubber (made my own from various diameters/sizes of rubber boat trailer rollers. Don't laugh to hard, it works!) I think you'll notice how worn the stock bushings are once you install new springs and sturts anyway, and want to change them.

Well I don't have the time to make my own. Heh heh... barely have the time to install parts :icon8:

I'm not just yank the rear swaybar... but if I buy new ones, I will get both. I don't like driving RWD without a rear swaybar. The rear floats too much for my taste.

Overall, thanks for the advice guys!! I'm ordering that Tokico 'kit' today.

For a street car I would leave on the swaybars you have. They should work great with the new set up.

I added a heavy front bar to mine and ended up tearing the mounts right out of the frame.

After I repaired it I put on a front bar off a 280Z. I also have a rear bar and like the set up very well with my Tokico springs and Koni shocks.

Fast shipping, indeed. I ordered Monday, he shipped Tuesday, and I received Wednesday.

I can't complain about that.

I took the stuff out to get a good look at it, and everything looks great. I'm excited!

I just need to find some time to put these in this week... :twak:

Wow. I just put the rear suspension from the Tokico kit in yesterday... its like night and day different.

This thing rides so nicely now compared to the old blown out rear I removed. It's incredible.

My left rear shock was completely blown. The right one was ok but slow on the rebound. I think this is where my rocking was coming from.

It took me about 1.5 - 2 hours to do the rear, as this was my first time on Z car. I didn't realize it was so difficult until I got into it.

I dropped the suspension and hung it out the wheel well, hooked up my hydraulic spring compressor and swapped it on the car.

I loosened the brake lines from their brackets and disconnected the e-brake lines (although I think the e-brake isn't necessary) I also had to drop the half shafts to pull the coilover out at that angle.

Overall, this job was a lot harder than expected... hence only the back being done in the 2 hours I had to do the job. :-D But in the end, I think it would be easy if I had to do it again.

I love the way this feels... it never bottoms out anymore. My old stuff would thump everytime I hit a bump. I think it was bottomed out and not doing anything on the left side. :icon52: