HybridZ

Help me please...

Well Im new to the whole Z "scene", in fact Ive only had a Z for a few months. Its a 1976 280z Coupe Auto.

I have a couple problems. When I bought the car a few things never worked, the turn signals, hazard lights, and defroster light.

So first the turn signal problem....

All the exterior lights work, however they don't flash. The interior signals dont work either, nor do the harards, or the little light in the hazard switch. THe brights DO work though.

Defroster.....

The rear defroster works (kind of), however the light in the dash that says "rear defrost" dosent work.

Other possible related problems...

The CD player (obviously after market) doesn't remember the stations. Everytime the car is turned off then on again you have to reprogram the stations in, which is pointless becasue you'll just loose them when you turn the car off.

Also in the shifter there is a light that lights up the gear indicator (PRND21), that doesn't work either.

So today since I had no plans, I thought I'd pull out the console and the blinker/high beam switch. I replaced all the bulbs with new ones, and used about 2 cans of brake cleaner to clean all the conections and switches. Feeling very confident that I had solved all my problems I assembled everything back together. Guess what??

Thats right..... I fixed nothing. Everything that didnt work before, still doesn't work. I also replaced ALL the fuses and the flashers just a couple weeks ago.

So what do I do now??? Im stumped and kinda frustrated right now.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, and if anyone wants to physically come help that would be even better, but I'm looking for any help I can get.

On the plus side, I got under the car to see what diff I had because I was curious. Yup R200, I was so happy.

You mentioned that you cleaned the blinker/high beam switch, but did you take appart the hazzard switch and clean that? Those contacts have to be clean for the hazzard/blinker to work.

Not sure why new bulbs didn't work

Your CD is wired to an ignition hot, that's why you loose your stations. There should be 2 power wires, one to Acc, to turn on the CD. The other to a constant hot fuse for your stations.

You may have to do a little OJT (on the job training) and dig up a wiring diagram and start tracing wires. I had similar issues with a 71 240z I used to have and the PO, buggered up all the connections. I had to disconnect/reconnect many things before I was able to sort it out.