HybridZ

To flare or not to flare....flip flopping

Tim240z

go something like this......slight inward tubbing AND outward flares!

"GO WITH BOTH" !!!!!!!!!

....and take me for a ride (straight up )

Vinny 8)

As a friend of mine likes to say, "Who doesn't like In-N-Out?".

Have it animal style.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive hit this part as well. Im single turboing a 351W and am going to have some sick power as well. not 1k but 1k would be to much for me.. I have the ford 9" ready to be shortened and the z on the stands..

ive searched, and searched, and searched, and this is what ive run across.

flares can support WIDE tires, without flairing to much. Im planning on running 315+ on cobra rims. and maybe wider on slicks.

Tubbing is cool, but hides the extent of the car. Also flairs with wide tires look sick, and its hard to hide whats under the hood when its tubbed. if I see a wide tire car with flairs i think its more style, I see it tubbed and I know its ready to go.

ALSO classes at the track require tubbing/no tubbing so you kinda loose out there.

FLairing +1

why isnt this a poll?

I just ordered 280YZ Rear Flares (along with the complete kit) to get room for wider rubber.

Obviously' date=' my vote is .... Flares![/quote']

your car is my desktop.. are those cobra wheels?

mine will be almost the exact same as yours, but EVO blue...

The combo in my sig pic is 2003 SVT Cobra 9X17" with 285/40-17s barely covered by wimpy MSA IMSA Flares.

I already have matching 10.5X17" with 315/35-17s mounted, awaiting bigger flares. (Insert Tim Allen "ooh, ooh!" here) Big flares with fat meats make the Z look muscular, IMO.

I'm honored to have my car on anyone's desktop - Thanks for the complement.

i agree with your snow ball concept.

if i had just gone for body work and decent paint job, i'd be driving mine, instead of looking at in the driveway. instead, custom body work and other modifications. shop got sold in middle of the work. z towed and dropped in my driveway half finished. i ran out of money, so it's gonna be sitting for a while. too many big ideas and engineering on the fly.

now, i happen to like the z with and out the flares. take a look at Peter P's 240z. no flares and it has to be one of the finest looking z cars on the face of the earth. the car is flat out elegant.

speeder's flared z is one of the sharpest i have seen. i can understand wanting to flare. gain tire clearance and the z lends itself so easily to flares. the right size flares really enchance the lines of the car.

my 83 cents of opinion is ... practicality and money ...

if you mini tub or do nothing, you will soon be driving your z car, instead of throwing money at it and still not being able to drive it.

as you say, flares will snow ball into different wheels, tires. bigger brakes, modified exhaust, body mods to match the exhaust, suspension changes calibrated to the new brakes, rerouting brakes lines custom made of stainless steel, flatten and smooth the underside, new ground effects ...

i say, put it back together, drive it ... enjoy it ...

if in a couple years, you wished you'd mini tubbed or flared it ...

tear it down and do it then ...

it'll give you something to do when you get tired of the z, instead of selling it.

i vote, melt the snow ball, put the z together and drive the wheels off of it ...

I already have matching 10.5X17" with 315/35-17s mounted' date=' awaiting [b']bigger[/b] flares.

not a prob! but the pic I have has the mesh style wheels..

Im getting the 17x10.5 and 17x9 factory wheels..

I HAVE to flare it, but id like to keep it as far from widebody as possible. The ford 9" will help a little bit but i dunno... what flares do you recomend?

Tim: After reading Han's second post I just have to laugh. He's right you know...deep down in your heart you know you'll wind up going the extra mile and do those flairs! Face it...it's in your blood. You are a true Hybrider, just like Terry! Spend those big bucks, and get what you really want. Yeah, I know...at this point I am no help either...LOL, but I know you!!! Snowballs, hell...it never stopped you or pretty much any of us before. Whats the difference now. I love teasing you...Your Bud, VAN

Time for some Freudian analysis of this whole flare thing...

According to Freud, the very act of entering into civilized society entails the repression of various archaic, primitive desires (like flares on a car.) Each person's psychosexual development includes the surpassing of previous "love-objects" or "object-cathexes" that are tied to earlier sexual phases (the oral phase, the anal-sadistic phase, etc.); however, even well-adjusted individuals still betray the insistent force of those earlier desires through dreams, literature, "Freudian slips", or larger and larger flares on their otherwise adequate vehicles; hence the terms, "return of the repressed" or "racer wannabe."

In less well-adjusted individuals, who remain fixated on earlier libido objects or who are driven to abnormal reaction-formations or substitute-formations, two possibilities exist: 1) perversion, in which case the individual completely accepts and pursues his or her desire for alternative sexual objects and situations (sodomists, sado-masochists, etc.) buy chopping up a completely innocent and virgin like vehicles; or 2) neurosis, in which case the same prohibited desires may still be functioning but some repression is forcing the "repudiated libidinal trends" to get "their way by certain roundabout paths, though not, it is true, without taking the objection into account by submitting to some distortions and mitigations" (meaning, big powerful engines and large bulging flares.)

So John...what you're saying is that I have a small pecker and feel a great, yet subconscious, need to compensate?

eh....I can live with that..... :twisted::shock::-D

[Edit]......btw, John.....you are getting more and more scary every day......[/Edit]

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Colonel, Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here.

Col. "Bat" Guano: You wanna know what I think?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes!

Col. "Bat" Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts.

The combo in my sig pic is 2003 SVT Cobra 9X17" with 285/40-17s barely covered by wimpy MSA IMSA Flares.

I already have matching 10.5X17" with 315/35-17s mounted' date=' awaiting [b']bigger[/b] flares. (Insert Tim Allen "ooh, ooh!" here) Big flares with fat meats make the Z look muscular, IMO.

You can fit 315 Nitto drag radials on those tires.

Tim, flare the damn thing. You're gonna need it.