HybridZ

To flare or not to flare....flip flopping

Tim240z

Well as some, many, or none of you know, my Z has no drivetrain, or rear suspension and I am building a 357ci TT (2 x T04 60-1 units) with a 700 R4 and ford 9".

Well.....I have been mulling over for months now whether or not I should flare the hell out of the 1/4 panels and fenders, or do a mini-tub to fit the necessary rubber in the rear.

I spent years on the body and paint, all my own effort, and I am cringing a bit on throwing that all away and affixing fiberglass to the car. The body, as it stands now is PERFECT. Not even a scratch anywhere (or at least none that I have noticed.)

I have even considered buying another shell to to this with and selling this car "as is".....

Any words of wisdom? No special plans for the car...maybe a few runs at the strip, very little street driving, and maybe some auto-X just for kicks. This build is an engineering practice more than anything else.

What thinks the brain trust?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat Tim, minus the clean paint... my shell is in VERY good shape and I'm not sure I could gutt the fenders and flare it... Hard choice... Mine is more critical maybe, due to the track day thing... I need some meets under there!

Mike

I'm in the same boat Tim, minus the clean paint... my shell is in VERY good shape and I'm not sure I could gutt the fenders and flare it...

I'm feeling the same way. I've spent the last year doing the bodywork on my Z and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Changed to a wheel that requires (mandates) a flare and everytime I look at the car I feel torn!

I'm using ('modifying to adapt' would be more appropriate) VB's which ofcourse require some serious work to incorporate. If my car was painted I would seriously have looked to a bolt on flare. Even though it would still require some welding I think it would be easier.

It speaks volumes that you have no dings or scratches in your paint, or that the body is perfect, because you have a black car. I'm sure that whatever you do you will apply the same level of care and detailing that is in the car now.

Having had the pleasure of seeing your car and Mike Kz's car up close and personal I say don't flair it. Keep your perfect body work and tuck some big tires under the stock 1/4's. Mikes car looks very mean with no flairs and I know yours would too. Just my $0.02 but I think flairs would upset the clean lines and balance of your car.

I really want to keep my car the way it is for the reasons I stated above, but it is things like this that makes me :banghead::ugg::willy_nil

11301MVC-120F-med.jpg

Now that is gonna look mean as hell!!!

On the other hand....MikeKZ's car is pretty damned bitchin' too!!!

I agree, I don't NEED to flare it, and either way (flare or no flare) the 9" will need to be narrowed......but pushing the track wider will make the car more stable and handle better, plus look mean as hell.......on the other hand....it looks so sleek now.......crap!

I agree, I don't NEED to flare it, and either way (flare or no flare) the 9" will need to be narrowed......but pushing the track wider will make the car more stable and handle better, plus look mean as hell.......on the other hand....it looks so sleek now.......crap!

Tim,

Do mini-tubs and tuck the tires inside the stock fenders. My 28" tall tires fit without modifying the wheel arch and they are 12" wide. And I could probably go to 13" wide tires without problems. Besides if your Z is too stable it won't be any fun.:twisted:

But your biggest problem is deciding what 'look' you want, Wild or Sleeper. You are paying for it so you make the decision.:confused2

Hanns

Keep your car the way it is and pick up a shell and get started. In my mind there are stock looking cars and then there are the wild ones (like Dan's in the picture above). Stock cars get comments like "Wow nice car" or, "oh that's nice". Wild cars get comments like "HOLY CRAP that thing is mean!" and DAMN, I can't believe that!".

Fitting a Ford 9" inside the stock fender lines is going to be VERY narrow.

All in "what you always wanted".

Tim, here's an idea, do as Turbo Meister suggested and mini tub keeping within the stock fenders. Then if you wish to go with a wider look, flare the fenders and simply run wider wheels!

Mark

p.s. If you flare, you really can't unflare it!

Non flared cars seem to be the custom these days as less chrome also seeme to dominate many car's appearance. Your car looks great as it is but.............. there is that mindset with some of us will never abandon for that big-badass wide look that common sense cannot control when building a hot rod....You need another Z to work on.

Hard to believe you can tub the rear without disrupting the outer body work. Guess you have proved you know what you are doing though.

I think of JohnC's words and go back to what you want to do with the car. Since this won't be a hard core track car, why to you need super sized rear tires? Or for that matter a solid rear axle? Why not keep it IRS and just be happy that your engine is not the limiting factor in your 1/4 mile times?

Just a personal choice but I agree with the guys who feel flairs disrupt the lines of a Z car.

Hard to believe you can tub the rear without disrupting the outer body work. Guess you have proved you know what you are doing though.

I think of JohnC's words and go back to what you want to do with the car. Since this won't be a hard core track car' date=' why to you need super sized rear tires? Or for that matter a solid rear axle? Why not keep it IRS and just be happy that your engine is not the limiting factor in your 1/4 mile times?

Just a personal choice but I agree with the guys who feel flairs disrupt the lines of a Z car.[/quote']

Well...."keep the IRS" is used loosely I hope as I have zero rear suspension right now.

It would be a shame to build all that HP into the engine, only to put an effective governer on it by installing a weak rear end, no?

I am beginning to lean more and more to building another car and unloading this body.......Like many of you guys, I love the sleekness of a stock bodied Z car, it is what has attracted us all to this madness, but there is something very macho about those huge IMSA type/size flairs.....maybe I'm just compensating.....I'll have to ask the wife..... :redface:

I went through the same quandry and ultimately function won out over form in my decision to flare the ROD. Looking back I wish I didn't but to get the performance out of the car that I wanted, I really had no choice.