HybridZ

adding gear oil to the transmission through the shifter

PapaSmurf

Ok guys I have a 78 Z with a 5 speed and Icant get the filler bolt off the transmission, I've tried everything and it's just gonna stay there, so my question is, can I put the gear oil into the place the shifter goes? will it work it's way to where it's supposed to go? Or is that a bad idea

2nd that -- Do not attempt to add it through the shifter. If you can't remove that filler plug, remove the reverse-light trigger switch next to it and use that to fill the tranny -- for this, you will need a tube / hose to run from the bottle to the tranny.

There is an open passage from the shifter to the main case, and I have added oil this way. The issue is that the openings are small, and it takes several minutes for the oil to slowly reach the main case. It was time consuming, but it was easier than through the plug at the time I did this.

I've removed the plug and the shifter consol and ran a hose up through the tunnel into the cabin which then attaches to a funnel. Pour the oil in there and wait. Just make sure the entrance to the tranny is tight or it will leak all over.