HybridZ

blew up the rear end, have new dif that doesnt quite work

philiow313

hey guys. its been awhile since i posted here.

my 81 280zx 5 speed ate its rear end back in january. i decided to buy a new car and just fix this one later on down the road. so here i am, i bought a new r180 (well, its used from a 85 PU 4x4) and everything works in the mounting, BUT my driveshaft wont go into the pinion flange. the driveshaft circle on the very end, is 2 1/4" across, and the flange is only 2" across. it wont fit into it... i remember the driveshaft fitting into the old differential, so im curious what to do.

can i swap the flange out with a different one that fits the driveshaft, or do i need to get a differnet driveshaft? or am i stuck and have to use a different dif?

thanks

-phil

well r180 was for automatic 280's if i remember correctly... they arent ment to handel a manual transmission. I would suggest going to the pick n pull and dealing with the extra 30 ish pounds probbably worth it. Also it should bolt up to your drive shaft if it is r200

hey guys. the car came with a r180 in it. it is a manual, so i think they did come this way.

anyways... a question again... could i just grind the end of the driveshaft flat and bolt it up like that, would that hold up to just a tad bit of driving until it could be done correctly?

Im almost positive that the bolt pattern is different. There were 2 types of companion flanges: 2" and 2.25". All the 73-78Z's had the 2.25" pilot flange. The later models had the 2" pilot flange. Like i said, with the pilot change, the polt patern changed.

hey guys. i went back to where i got the dif from with my driveshaft and they matched up the flange correctly. after 5 months my Z is back on the road! haha

its gonna be up for sale, i will post an for sale thread that will run for a week, and after that if not sold i will be junking the car.