HybridZ

open exhaust on an N/A l28 motor how loud?

PapaSmurf

Hey all, I took my car in to a shop the other day for a free diagnosis and aparently I have a lot of back pressure or else they just wanna sell an exhaust system I'm not entirely sure haha but it would make sense since this thing has burnt quite a bit of oil in its day and the catalytic converter is likely plugged up pretty good. So my question is, until I can afford a new exhaust system, would it be workable to take off my catalytic converter, and just leave the system open with the muffler on there to make it look legal... I gotta drive this thing around town and I wanna know the loudness. I hear a turbo quiets things down nicely but an N/A .. that would probably attract some unwanted attention wouldnt it? does anyone have any ideas? cheap alternative to a new exhaust? any way to clean out this poor old thing?

I ran my my 83' 280zx n/a with a stock header no cat with a high-flow muffler for about 5 months. It had a drone on the highway but other than that it was manageable. It sounded real good. But then again I'm use to loud cars:twisted: I think as long as you run a muffler it won't be "too" loud.