HybridZ

Rumor, driveshaft angle

hey i just finished custom mounting my sbc last nite, the tranny ended up at Zero degrees, im going to move my diff to also be at Zero, but i heard a rumor that 0 degrees front and back will cause a vibration... is this true?

Guest 305240

I used a lazer pointer on mine. The dot showed 1/4" off center to the 5 o'clock pos on the diffy and 1/4" off cenyter at the 11 o'clock on the tranny end. I figure that's close enough. I still have room to make it a little straighter if I find any viberation.

side view of car and top view of car. which make two planes of viewing. True paralell axis of trans output shaft and rear pinion. With the paralell set run your driveshaft at 1 to 2 max. Do a search there is tons here on that subject. Also see Petes Z pages are most exelent! I dont have the link off hand but maybe some here could chime in on that. Good luck!

The issue is that with ZERO driveshaft u-joint angles, the rollers in the u-joint cups don't roll, and you get a brinnelling of the u-joint cross. Not good.

You want a little bit of angle, which is not so hard to do since it starts out so large with a JTR install and the R200 in the stock location (no mods to the mounting or it).

http://alteredz.com/drivelinemods.html

hrm wait so if the transmission measures at zero degrees and the diff measures at zero (in the vertical plane) but both are at different heights does that make it ok to have zero angle?

If they are both pointing level and at different heights, then they are at different angles.

Draw two imaginary lines, one straight out of the tranny shaft and the other straight out of the diff shaft. If the tranny and diff are perfectly level, at the same height and both directly in front of each other front to back, then the "two lines" will be the same line. The tranny shaft points directly into the diff shaft. This is zero drive shaft angles.

If the diff and tranny are perfectly level, perfectly in line with each other front to back, BUT at different heights, then the two lines will pass over the top of each other. This is what you want. If your drive shaft is say 28 inches long, then for a 2 degree driveshaft angle you would want the two lines to be about an inch apart. (the tranny about an inch higher than the diff). Displacement side to side is the same as a differnce in height. As long as the two line are parrallel.