HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Update

Hey Guys and Gals,

It has been a long time since I did an update so I thought I would bring you all up to speed on my project.

I have been so busy with my personal life (work, kids, honey-do list, etc.) that I have little to no time to work on the Z. I really wanted this swap to be completed by now(13 months today since I started) but you all know how it goes. I have come to the conclusion that if I ever want to get the car back on the road, before I retire, I am going to need to either quit my job or get some outside help. Seeing as I can earn more money at work I have decided to pay someone to get it going for me. I really enjoy working on the car and still want to be part of it.

Last week I spent several hours talking with the owner of a local Hot Rod-Muscle Car shop. They recently completed an LS6 swap into a 63 Corvette. They have done several other similar swaps but never a Datsun. We discussed all the options and worked out an arrangement where he will do most of the work and allow me to participate (when I have time) in the project. My son is upset because this was supposed to be a father and son project but I realize that the car will stay a member of Jackstand racing for a long time if I don't do this. So yesterday the flatbed pulled into my driveway and towed my baby to the shop. Boy does the garage look empty. I will be taking all of my collected parts to them today and they say that it should be on the road in 3-5 weeks. I gave them an absolute deadline of July 15th. This will give me one month before the Z convention.

I will keep you all updated.

I sure hope it won't take 11 months. I went by there yesterday and dropped off all the bits and pieces I have collected so they can get started. I expressed my concerns about how long it would take and he (His name is Tony) says he will shoot for a deadline of July 4th so he can be sure to have it done way before the July 15th deadline I gave him.

Since the motor is already in the car and I have agreed to avoid the "while we are at it" syndrome, it really shouldn't be too bad. He needs to mount the trans, install the speartech wiring harness, build a fuel system and an exhaust system, hook up the speedo converter, install the radiator and fans, install the JTR air intake system, and a bunch of little BS stuff.

5 weeks should be plenty of time. He also said that he would be doing most of the work on it in the late afternoon and early evenings and agreed to let me help when I can get over there. I spoke to the wife and she agreed that I can have Tuesday evenings to go and work on it.

With me over there helping for 4-5 hours a week, I really think the time deadline will be met. The Z convention isn't until August 15th so I had an extra month built into it.

Wish me luck!

WOW....these stories make me really appreciate my wife.....she has never ever complained, or fussed about me working on my vehicles.....I have been feverishly working on my 71 truck for a couple of months now (drivetrain conversion and now paint and body).....the honey-do list is growing everyday, but not a word from her.....and I still have the Opel GT and Z to work on......

Sorry that you had to throw in the towel and farm it out, but at lease you have a light at the end of the tunnel now.....good luck, and I hope they do an excellent job for you.....

Guys,

Just curious how much did the shop quote you 2 for the swap? I have an LS1 with everything for the swap and I probably going to get someone to do it for me because I do not have the time. I would love to do it myself because I just simply can't trust any shop. Please if you don't mind I would like to know the quote just for comparison so that I can ask around. Thanks and good luck. Please take many pictures.