HybridZ

Motorcycle mirrors on the doors?

TomoHawk

I would like to replace my floppy sideview mirros with new ones, and I don't think I can find the same ones that are on there now, so I thought about using motorcycle-type mirrors.

I would make new baseplates and I assume the mirrors bolt through the base. There is already a hole about 20mm in the door where I assume the original mirror poked through.

thx

Those guys over at classiczcar.com are all laughing at the idea. Partly because it's not a "real car part," and partly because it's not OEM. :icon8::confused2

I've seen some real GTOs in the vintage races at Goodwood on TV, and I saw one with the modernTestarossa-style mirrors, so if you can get over that skinny stalk of the ninja mirrors, all you need is a mounting plate.

BTW-

Where would you get a set of the Ninja mirrors? Cycle shop?

thx

get some Talbot style bullet mirrors.... the kind that was on all the 50 and 60's Sports cars..... I got mine off eBay from a privte seller---cheap...for the 250 GTO ...............there are commercial sellers peddling thier reproductions and every once in awhile some authentic Talbots appear on eBay but usually the most for wear... Also there are carbon fiber race ones for race cars that look like motorcycle morrors....

Larry-

I got a couple 3inch Talbot-style mirrors off eBay already. I'll consider mounting those if the ones I orderd from MSA aren't the same thing.

Later on I'll get a matched set or some Green Dots from some MG or Jag parts dealer...

thx

I was thinking about the Long-stalk mirrors, and I realized that when it's raining, you can't see what's in the mirror because it's too far away. The fender-mounted mirrors are even worse! Not only do you have to look into a circle 2 feet away to see what's behind you, but you have to look through the rain too.

But AFAIK, the Talbots mounted to the door are just fine for the Alpha-bodied GTOs.

thx

... Afew years back I was at a flea market in Kiev Ukraine ...

Larry, I'll bet you and I are the only ones on this board that have been to flea markets in the Ukraine. I was in Kharkov the summer of '90 and the only parts I ran across in the flea markets were for Ladas, Volgas and old Fiats...

What do you guys think about using the chrome-plated plastic- body bullet (Talbot) mirrors on a GTO? Some of them look really nice; about as mice as real Talbots. So if there wasn't the chance of stripping the threads of the mounting holes, or the lack of pitting & patina, they look like top quality units.

Darn cheap, too.

Oh-

I did a quick check of eBay for Ninja mirrors, and there was only aabout 99 auctions for theregular & carbon fiber units, so if I need to get some, I'll go there. But I'll go to a cycle shop first to check them out- mounting & such.

thx

I would stay away from the e-Bay plastic body 'talbots" unlesss you have examined the brand before. I picked up a couple Hellla (the light people) brand plastic bodied side mirrors at two different swap meets that were streamlined intergrated mount and mirror that look great and extremely well made. The problem is one is black and the other chrome plated with this mirror line discontinued by Hella. I like two side mirrors. Those motorcycle mirrors on the VR look very similar to the racing mirrors in carbon fiber being offered all over now...... Mark, checked your website out................you have some of the best accessory parts to complete the VR..... In a couple months my financial situation may stabalize enough to get back to work on my projects. The Tomahawk has lost too much to replace for the time being but the GTO 250 could be started with the silver Z as donar. The silver 280 Z is a non oil burner with fuel delivery issues from setting over two years. Since I had 2 1/2 years to think about this conversion.. I plan to use the stock steel fenders as an underlay to the GTO front assembly. Rory Bateman designed the Tomahawk with this concept of retaining the modified stock fenders. I positioned the GTO front on the Tomahawk prepared frontend and it fit like a glove. This leaves the steel front fenders/doors dust guards intact from dust etc entering the passenger compartment.. I also plan to incorporate the stock front vented steel cowl to the GTO fiberglass fenders and eliminate the (inaccessable) GTO fiberglass cowl. Where the seam of steel cowl and GTO fiberglass fenders meet , I plan to incorporate a slding hood lock pin to cameoflauge the seam. Also the front grille and air ducts area enclosed with removable fiberglass panels with attaching points to a constructed flange inside the nose piece and the inner steel fender mounting points to caputure the air to the radiator more fully. Flanges constructed inside the GTO fenders to accept lightweight inner fender panels attaching to the inner steel fender wells. I plan to use the Z door handles and will try to utilze the Z locking key mechanisim under the door handles. Apparently the old "Alphabet" GTO's used the key mechanisim below the stock door handles. I want to splash a mold off the top of the roof to obtain a thin fiberglass roof cap to fit hidden behind the drip rails and windshield molding and molded into the fiberglass GTO rear tub properly. I want adjustable coil overs and refresh the entire suspension for road car performance and retain the EFI L 6. A lot of my parts were stolen but I could borrow the suspension parts from the Tomahawk (but should not). Anyway I am searching the net for more parts and for a lot less money and frustration I can put the GTO together than attempt to finish the Tomahawk at this time.. I have a complete 4 bbl- 4 bolt main 350 to slip in the Tomahawk to replace the stripped 350 engine that was in it. I still cannot look at the Tomahawk without going into a rage and it will be a lot easier to work on the GTO.... the end turn outs of the Tomahawk's side exhausts were stolen and the rest were left intact.. Not much more to replace the whole system than replace chrome plated end turn outs...... now I am ranting again!!!!!!!!! I still cannot talk or write about the Tomahawk.

Larry-

Did you have any thoughts about the Stanza hood hinges on the GTO hood? I've been looking at the Corvette hood hinges on old Corvettes, and they seem to be strong enough for the job, as long a you mount them right, or maybe reinforce the mounting area too.

Mark who? What's the URL? thx

Those stanza trunk hinges are great but I could not find the correct position to place them on the GTO hood or the fender flange...... Maybe have the hood propped totally open temporarily utilizing the Mazda RX-7 rear glass hinges on the outside hood and nose piece (Vella Rossa deck lid hinge) and position the Stanza hinge in position underneath... In re-thinking it would appear the the GTO hood would have to be in proper position to locate the mounting points for the Stanza hinges and securing the RX7 hinges (which I have) on the outside of hood and nose piece would be optimable with the front end and hood removed and elevated off the chassis so you could get inside the fenders and under the hood easily.????? My GTO hood is equipped with mounting studs for the Corvette hinges which are not in the right place for the Stanza hinge. So far I have found one Corvette hinge that was not stolen. I will look for the Kit Car Magazine that featured a build-up of the Tomahawk and displayed the modified Stanza hinge. Actually the kit featured in one magazine photograph was my # 8 Tomahawk. The Tomahawk (before it was vandalized), hood would stay open fully by virtue of the hinge without a hood support rod which the Corvette hinge could never do on a GTO. Also the Corvette hinge is secured to the chassiss which could later cause alignment problems while the Tomahawk/Stanza hinge is better mounted for permanent alignment to the fiberglass fender flange of which flange the GTO shares in close comparison. I have not gave up on the placement of the Stanza hinges for a GTO, but the extra set I have is about worn out from experimentation placement..