HybridZ

strange the steering wheel is locked up

wierdness the locking part of my ignition has been broken ever since I got my car, the key does not fit in the lock so today I figured I'd take it out and have a look see and when I put everything back together the steering wheel was locked up. it wont turn! any ideas? What did I break this time? lol also I need some help with getting this wheel off to paint, it's lookin pretty fugly right now I took off the alen screws a few weeks ago and it didnt come off so I just put them back and gave up but it would be nice to figure it out.

figured out how to get off the damned steering wheel still cant figure out why the damned thing is locked... is there a lock on these things? I dont know because I"ve never had a working ignition can someone tell me? I've been using the back end of the ignition to start the car with the plastic slot that fits into the key lock. I found a nice button and switch tho that I"m replacing tonight and I'm painting that rusty old steering wheel right now.

Guest rick458

Yes the ignition does lock when the key is turned 1/4" past off (counter clockwise)

I am not sure what the secret handshake is to unlock it though

Mine gives me trouble sometimes.. it's kind of a 'Hold your face the right way, giggle the key while trying to turn the wheel slightly side to side, and pray' :lol:

I've found that if you turn the key while working the wheel against the lock it will usually release. Very common on the Nissan line when they get older.

Cary

I made a left hand turn at a stop sign once when the steering locked placing the car in the ditch....... I later removed the ignition collar around the steering column which is usually held by 4 screws with two being "theft proof" which require the heads drilled off. I threw the ignition collar that locks the steering wheel in the trash and repaced the ignition with a 620 Pickup ignition switch using it's locking nut and washer to secure to the Z plastic ignition steering column surround..........If your ignition has not been replaced for awhile...... a filed down key will work or try about 10 different Datsun style keys and one should work..In this county the leading car for theft was 70-80's Datsuns because of the easy entry due to the keys interchangability and worn out key ways. Ocbaar had his Z stolen twice and the last time he gave chase on foot at 3:00 AM but the thief did not stop at the first stop sign leaving Ocbaar in the dust.. His only description of the thief was greasy long hair. Apparently Ocbaar was unsucessful in opening the rear hatch to gain access to persuade the thief to abandon all efforts of misconduct.