HybridZ

finished my push button ignition

woot just wired up my push button ignition it works great, I've got a switch in the consol that gives the interior power for the stereo and stuff so the engine doesnt have to be on for that and then a push button that is hidden that starts the engine and I wired up a red light to go in the ignition hole that is on when the car has power so I dont forget and end up with a dead battery. This was a really easy mod guys if anyone has any questions I'd be glad to answer them. I might have to make a guide cuz I've seen a lot of questions about this

Guest 305240

I often thought of hiding my push button starter switch in behind the cigg lighter. Just push the cigg lighter in and it starts! I thought it would be cool as well as different. Use the toggle AC switch that is mounted in the accessory add on that is on the console for your main power, complete with red LED light. The stuff is already there, why not use them?

Funny the things you notice when you are having probems... :icon8: My ignition is shot, and tonite I was left stranded for a little while.. this is not good. The wheel lock works fine, and when in the "ON" position, evrything is perfect.... but when cranking (start) bad things happen. After some checking, I have discovered that the 12 volts to the coil DIES as soon as I crank the motor over. I'm almost positive it is a bad conection in the key switch.. It would seam that if I hold my face just right, and a planetary alignment hapens just at the right time, it works.. but ussually I have to give it 3 or 4 tries and then "BANG clatter grind.." it starts suddenly with the starter still out (Brand new starter too.. yearg...) so...

Would this work if I just ran a hot wire from the batery to an "engine start" switch (I'm thinknig marine style button here) and then directly to the solenoid? I'm thinking I could just leave the key as is, so I'd still have to turn it to the "ON" position for power..

To add to that; I DID work! :lol: Bought a push button switch today and wired it up. Just ran power to it, and cut into the factory wire behind the key.. amazing how easy it would be to 'hotwire' one of these old z's.. On the plus side, even IF some a$$ breaks in and turns over the ignition with a screwdriver, there is no longer ANY way to engage the starter with the key. It's ment for marine applications so it has a rubber cover over the actuall button, (actually resembles the primer on my lawnmower..)attached to the hold down nut.. A little odd looking by itself, but mounted in the dash in place of the ciggarette lighter, you can't even tell anything's diffrent! (aside from it not having a smoking symbol on it.. I'm thinking about getting a small sticker made.. heh heh..) Anyone who has ever been in my car knows the lighter didn't work anyway, so no wories about someone doing something stupid while driving. For now it's just hardwired to the battery with an inline fuse.. I wanted to see if it was going to work first. Tomorrow I'll find a 12V+ that's only powered with the key in the "on" possition.

sorry guys the camera was out of commision I got a new one and will try to start writing the guide today after I get my U joints replaced. I"m drilling out the anti theft screws on the ignition housing today too so I wont have to worry about the wheel lock anymore yay so much to do today I cant wait for my u joints to be done with it's been driving me insane for a month now