HybridZ

anyone with the S&W 8 point?

JaysZ

i'm about to order it soon, some questions :)

i ran a search and saw a bunch of custom cages, a few S&W ones.. the general consensus is that the customs are best but pricey and the S&W is good but needs to be modified to work.

really, all i want is something like a roll bar or 6 point that i can mount my 4 point harnesses to but hell, the 8 point from S&W is so damn cheap, why not get that right? or am i wrong? this is a street car that i would like to take to the track every now and then (club events, not professional)

any pics/opinions of the JEGS 6 or 8 point?

THANKS!

Guest Phil1934

S&W makes two lengths of roof hoop as the 280 is longer than the 240. I just got the 6 point, but it fit fine. I'd say talk to them.

I had a kit and sold it... wasn't impressed with the routing of the tubing... S&W is within driving distance of me, so getting a cage isn't an issue... Getting one that fits the Zcar properly is. JEGS is the same way... I'd recommend going to someone and having the proper tubes bent for your car... Go HERE: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z

Look at the folder "JIm's Red Scarab Z" or whatever the title for the Red Flared Zcar... Look at those pics of that cage and how the tubes bend around the fenderwells and how far forward the front tubes go... You won't get that with a Jegs or S&W cage... That impacts seating, head clearance, and other fitment issues...

In a Zcar, a custom cage is the ONLY way to go...

Mike

thanks for the replies. my thing is, for now, i only need something to hold my harnesses in place. i would love to have a full cage custom built but thats anywhere from $800 - $2000.

since the S&W and Jegs are so cheap, i thought, "well i may as well just go ahead and get a 4, 6, or 8 point roll bar, not the cage". i'm still concerned about safety as far as my head hitting the bars in an accident but i'm only 5'6" would this even be an issue?

i guess if i got the 8 point S&W, i can always have a custom builder finish it up and complete the cage whenever the car is ready for track use, but suspension and brake setup is pretty expensive and it probably cant have it done for a while anyway. i'm only considering a roll bar right now b/c they are relatively inexpensive, and i'll need a seat belt to pass inspection.

so i guess my question now is, if i had just a rollbar (with harness mounts) welded in, could a custom builder utilize that and "finish" the cage off, or

would he have to start fresh? which would you get for just the rollbar, Jegs, S&W, or Autopower? Thanks again everyone

I have the 8 point S&W kit. I didn't like where the the rear bars came down, so since I wasn't goint to use the door bars I re-cut the door bars to use as rear bars. They now go from the main hoop the the rear of the car (77 280Z). I'll get some pictures soon and post. For the price the S&W kit gives you a lot of parts, so you can modify it to fit just how you want. I'll use the old rear bars as short door bars when I get to that point.

- Joe

since the S&W and Jegs are so cheap' date=' i thought, "well i may as well just go

so i guess my question now is, if i had just a rollbar (with harness mounts) welded in, could a custom builder utilize that and "finish" the cage off, or

would he have to start fresh? [/quote']

There is no reason why you can't have a custom builder 'finish' off the job. I bought a cutom 3" exhaust system and I plan to take to a very competent shop to have them finish off the job even though it is 90% there. Same think for rollcages/bars.

Davy

mobythevan,

thanks for the pics, that looks really good to me. it looks like it fits very well, but then again i have a 280 and it might be a little different than yours. they offer a custom kit, they send you a template and you fill in all the numbers and they'll make it for $259 + tax and shipping. i'll probably just go and get the S&W, cant beat the price! :)