HybridZ

New Jersey 250 GTO on eBay

The GTO kit on ebay seems to be a Thunder Ranch or later Alpha. I just finished a Thunder Ranch that I bought last fall, the Ebay car appears to be identical to mine. Forget the idea of removing the body to put on another Z, the rear section, rocker panels and door skins would be destroyed in the process. If you can pull off getting a title, and buy the car for 1K, it might be worth the effort. The new Thunder Ranch kit is $3195.00 - about 4K by the time you get it to your house.

Bill

Vinh.... definitely worth your trouble for a visit since no one seeme to be bidding and a few days left...I would like to see what you could do to that one after viewing your ZX which is proof that the ZX should have been offered as a topless model too. Looks like the fellow pushed it out of the garage for the photos

The various kits were at $3900.00.... if that's a receessed rear licenese plate reseptacle it might be a Stable Auto Works Blue Rhino GT etc....... Thunder Ranch had more of a curve to the fenders and hood.. Aipha usually had this little 1x10 vent indentation behind the side windows. The headlight covers are close to $200.00 for the set and the seller has them

Still looks pretty much like my Thunder Ranch! License plate recess, slots behind the side windows, the shape of the front end, the size of the front brake cooling intakes. Some differences, the fuel filler latch cutout faces forward instead of toward the rear, the hood hinges are different. Thunder Ranch bought the molds from Alpha after Ferrari threatened to sue Alpha. Check out http://WWW.GTORR.COM

Bill

Ynot...LOL! those kits were pirated and splashed or sold so many times for molds it would take a team of historians and some federal judges to unravel that mystery. I worked on a recent (3 years ago) Thunder Ranch product under whose production management only the Thunder Ranch tax accountant would be able to identify and now that mystery is solved...Thunder Ranch is still using Joe Alphabet's original molds which explains why so many of the later body parts are so warped coming from Thunder Ranch........I suspect whatever manufacture.. this kit cane from "back in the day" when they were "built".

Thanks for the comments on my topless Z guys.. On another note I am checking out this car tomorrow. I need to know where can I get the "little things" to finish up the project and how much.. I guess this is a question for Zelle. Anyone has any input into what I should look for in these kits let me know. I don't want to buy another car but if it's cheap I might buy it and finish it up and resell it.

Having spent 49 years in the philthadelphia area, look out for rust! Engines bolt in, wiring can be replaced, but rust is a total pain and can cost way more than the car is worth to fix right. If you get the car, I can fill you in on all of the goodies.

Bill

The Alpha 1 GTO and the Velo Rossa use the same headlight covers. The car you are looking at appears to be based on the McBurnie kit so it would use the Thunder Ranch http://www.thunderranch.com/ Stable Autoworks http://www.zcarkits.com/ or Scorpion Z Cars http://www.scorpionzcars.com/ headlight covers. I would contact Tom Edwards at Scorpion Z Cars (425) 353-0394 for any parts you need.

John Washington over at Reaction Research http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html would be another good source for some parts.

236622_9_full.jpg

Hey guys..

I just checked out the car. The car doesn't have the gas tank. All the underneath suspension parts got lots of surface rusts. Look like it will need a whole new suspensions from front to back. I have another 280Z parts car sitting here so I am not worrying about that. The Kit cracks along the doors and the back hatch so it will need repairs. The floor got some rusts and the driver floor was repaired by patching. Look like this whole thing is only good for fiberglass. The only problem is everything glued on the car and how difficult is it to remove them? It's going to take time to remove the kit without damaging it. What should I do guys? How much should I give the guy? He seems like a nice guy but I have too many things to do and I like to get this kit..

if the Z...... the body sets on is not useable and at the price the biding has reached ..........back off because that fiberglass kit and steel body may need a special can opener to separete the parts....Maybe more trouble than it's worth. set your top bid and stick to it. the fiberglass kit will come off ..it is just a matter of when....and Speed Racer is correct on the headlight covers of compatiability to Alpha/Vello Rossa as opposed to Thunder Ranch/Stable Works.. I worked on a Vello Rossa with a Thunder Ranch nose which caused my confusion. You cannot make too many mistakes around here without correction...which is why this is a learning experience.

I haven't bought the car yet and I already thought about chopping the top lol.. I will see how the auction goes. I will put my max bid 2K and that's should do it.. I have a 77 280Z for spare parts so I think I can get this car running in a week or 2. Oh man my wife is going to hate me for this.

I am very farmiliar with John Washington and I forgot all about him. Afterall I did bought the Daytona rear tub from him. Thanks for all the help guys. If I win it I will take some pictures before and after.