HybridZ

T-56 Transmission VSS hookup

Does anyone out there have a T56 in there car thats bolted up to an older carburated block? What diid you do about the VSS (electric speedometer) hookup. I know i can convert it to a cable, but i already have an Autometer electric speedometer and want to stay electric. I have been trying to find information about the VSS system but have gotten nothing...Anyone done this before?

You have everything you need. The Autometer electronic speedo doesn't need a ECM. All it needs is the VSS you have on the tranny. The instructions that came with the speedo should tell you how to hook it up.

When I did the Tomahawk swap I contacted Autometer on how to hook it up through the ECM and they said not to, just connect it directly to the VSS. I don't have any of the paper work with me anymore, it's with the car owner.

If you don't have the instructions or can't get any help from Autometer via e-mail post back and I'll see if I can round that stuff up.

Dan

I just wanted to make sure that there isnt a polarity associated with the VSS. There are 2 wires, one is supposed to go to ground and the other to the signal post on the speedometer...but witch one goes where? The pigtail that i got just has 2 gray wires with no marks on them to distinguish witch one is ground. Does it matter?

I don't have the LT1 diagram with me, I'm looking at my TPI diagram, think they are both wired the same though.

The VSS has a high and low connection. Yellow wire, "A" terminal, is high. Purple wire, "B" terminal, is the low connection and also the grounded wire.

Mark way very well be correct in that it may not matter which one you ground. I honestly don't know what is ment by the the terms high and low. Looks just like a simple coil with a rotating magnet to induce a voltage across it in the diagram. Rotating magnet>>AC>>no polarity.

I do remember Autometer telling which wires to connect to the high and low terminals though.

So what am I missing?

• 3 weeks later...