HybridZ

are you crazy?...well, yeah

John Scott

15 degrees in the garage this A.M. Yesterday it was a tropical 20 something. I'd been working for 2 hous doing the final wiring, plug wires ect. when my wife posed the question. I had to look at myself. No shoes, t-shirt, and no heater. Yep, obsession is an incredible driving force. I'm to the point of finally starting this thing and now fresh snow is on the ground and waiting for a warmer day. Had to laugh. Annika, my two-year-old is a great garage rat. Loves the car already. Anyone care to guess how many packing peanuts a sparkplug hole can hold? How about drill bits in the flywheel bolt holes? A complete box of washers dissappeared into the slot in my mitre box. One of my centerlines has a funny coating of wheel grease smeared on it. Hand cleaner all over her new pink outfit. I'd say, with a little training, she'd make a good pit boss. I'm going to sit by the fire and try to be patient. Drag radials and snow probably not a good idea.

John

I hate to gloat, but I love having a wood stove in the garage. flamedevil.gif

It was about 19 degress this morning. Tonight I will fire up the stove and in about 30 minutes it will be 70degrees. 2thumbs.gif

And my wife thought I was crazy installing a stove in the garage, crazy like a fox! It is a detached garage though.

I remember laying under my 63 chevy-II a few years ago in the middle of winter, outside on the concrete while it was snowing, trying to remove the automatic transmission. Tranny fluid was running into my coveralls and down my arm. Great memory. That memory alone inspired me to spend to money to insulate and heat my garage.

We do some funny things for our cars....er uh I mean our families (technically our cars are family-in a twisted mentally warped kind've way).

Well I dont have a garage (really need one) but I do have a wood burning stove in the house. It's the type that has an 18gauge steel housing surrounding the cast iron housing.

Here in Texas we dont have too many freezing days but when it gets below the 40's or 30's I can crank up the wood burning stove & still have the windows open.

The wood burning stove will warm you to the bones; you can run around the house in shorts & short sleeves while still being warmed to the bones plus with the widows open you get to breathe fresh outside air.

Anyone thinking about getting one should definately do so. If you are going to get one dont penny pinch on the smoke stacks-go with the most expensive or you will be replacing the stacks every year if you use your wood burning stove alot; & make sure it ventalates well.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Fast Frog

John!! Snow in the Eastern Slope's bananna belt!! :eek: It was a cloudy but warmer 62 deg here in the high desert. Garage was a balmy 70 deg. Had to do pasture fence repair-a little nippy for that.

Originally posted by Mike kZ:

Are you sure there is nothing stuck down in your engine? :D

Honestly I can't be sure. Annika moves so fast. In a matter of minutes she taged everything with a magic marker, toys, dolls, highchair, walls, doors including a big stripe down the dog. My wife works as a speech pathologist, I keep trying to get her fiber endoscope just for instances like this. "Look! Gummi bears in the oil pan!" I can here her next patient. You aint puttin' that up my nose. It smells like Vavoline! ...Ahh a heated detached garage...my dream!...Keep pacing around my car. Checking wires, bolts, hoses.

John

Ahh a heated detached garage...my dream!.
Hmmm.....don't think my (detached) garage has ever been outside of the 60 to 75 degree range!....Gotta love at least that part of living in SoCal.

Don't know how you guys do it. I've lived in South Central PA and NJ, and I can't imagine trying to work on a car in that weather....how do you get your hands to work :eek::(

Tim

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

quote:

Ahh a heated detached garage...my dream!.
Hmmm.....don't think my (detached) garage has ever been outside of the 60 to 75 degree range!....Gotta love at least that part of living in SoCal.

Don't know how you guys do it. I've lived in South Central PA and NJ, and I can't imagine trying to work on a car in that weather....how do you get your hands to work
:eek::(

Tim

I work as a concrete contractor. Pretty much year 'round. Get used to the extremes of 100 degrees to minus 0. I'm starting to hate the hot and cold as I get older. Groan! :( In fact about to give up the business. Need to run an ad: Obsessive HybridZ fanatic prefers self employment, but plays well with others.

Rick- don't want to hear about your toasty garage. 62 degrees too nippy for fence work. HAH! Send me a bunch of bananas when you can ;)

John

Tim -

I am soo jealous - I actually left SoCal for Minnesnowta (actually because my wife wouldn't live on the boat) twak.gif

But today, I walked into the garage - promptly turned around, got a fresh cup of coffee and got on the phone and ordered a huge propane garage heater. Now the next time I work on the Z - it will be a nice 65 degrees :D

With that said - I am on a flight tomorrow to Florida to catch a little warmth cheers.gif

Teo

my garage isnt all that great either.. well i still live at home and go to college but hey works for me.

we do have AC in our garage and 2 big ass fans, one in the main garage and one in the work shop.

so far im having my way.....what started as a wood work shop is now starting to change to a little auto garage.

but anybody that worked on your cars today is damn lucky, my day started at 6am! woke up, go dressed, drove 45mins to college, was there till 8pm, got some food then started studying, watched my TV shows (seinfeld, fastlane), and im now working on my car model.. datsun 510 with slicks and a LS1 from a WS6 car model.... gotta love the model hybrids!

mike