HybridZ

Would a stock T3 be better suited to an L24/L26?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I don't know how to make those turbo flow charts, so just thought I'd ask :)

Would the stock T3 work better/be more efficient if paired with the smaller displacement L24 or L26? Would it work better with a stroked/bored 3.0/3.1 liter?

If boost is a factor, figure the most common boost levels that we tend to run on T3's... 10psi and maybe 12 or 15psi.

Sure, the T3 will work better in a L24 engine at higher boost and at higher rpm levels as compared to a L28. It comes down to the air flow capacity of the turbo and flow requirement for the engine . However, hp is hp, and the super t3 is good for 300 hp max.

Guest bastaad525

but would it be more efficient with the smaller motors? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing the question right.

and when you say it's only good for 300hp max you ARE talking hp to the wheels right? It's definately worth more than 300 flywheel hp, as I've seen a few guys on here put down 250-275hp to the wheels with the stock T3 and that's defiantely more than 300 flywheel.

You can crank the boost close to 25 psi out of these with some modifications (so I heard), but it is TERRRIBLY inefficient, and its life will be shortened dramatically.

I think these turbo's are better suited for smaller engines because they barely flow enough for the L28 (some even claim it chokes the engine in high rpms).

Just what I've heard/read

Mario

Guest bastaad525

a lot of stuff I've heard seems to suggest the same, that the T3 is too small for the 2.8 liter motor.

That's why I'm asking... just seems it would be much better suited to the L24.

nissan put the t3 on the 2.8 with the idea that most of the driving would be in the low and mid range rpm range. in those ranges the t3 works rather well and supply's the engine with all the air it needs. in the upper end of the rpm range thou the 2.8 out pumps the t3 and the t3 runs out of efficent flow.

everything is a give and take. quick boost usually means smaller turbine and compressor wheel. at higher rpms that smaller wheel just can't push enough air for the motor. like wise a larger compressor wheel means more boost but also usually more lag. unfotunetlly all this extra boost must pass thru the exhaust turbine. with a larger turbine it is easier to contol the shaft speed thereby keeping the compressor in it's effecent range. this also introduces lag. this is usually the best when you are shooting for the big horsepower numbers but don't really car much for low end power. the third option is to run a larger compressor (t04e/b....) with a smaller turbine wheel (t3 a/r .63 stage 1) this provides quicker response at the low end of the rpm's but has the added risk of over spinning the compressor wheel out of it's effecency range. the only way to counter act this is to have a large wastegate to dump all the extra exhaust gases that are being pumped into the motor by the larger compressor wheel. honestly I don't know if an internal wastegate is able to do this. I figued that's why people who put down big numbers ran external gates.

realisticly I think the t3 of a zx would fit much better on a 2.4 or 2.6. I know of several dodge 2.2L and 2.4L owners that put the larger turbine (a/r .63 stage 1 or 2. stock is .48 ) housing on their cars when they want to run the higher boost (16-20lbs).