HybridZ

Maximizing Max RPMS

the stock redline is a bit higher then that on the 302's ive seen.. guys here take them to 6200-6400 with stock internals..

the crank is good to 7k, but i read that the rods and pistons have to be changed.

a aftermarket crank can be anywhere from 7-10k redline limit.. expect to pay for what you get..

why are you interested in raising the redline that hight?

You'd also need to improve the valve train. At those RPM levels you are definitely going to get valve float so you would want to go with either a solid roller or solid tappet cam setup. The flat tappets would give you more RPM due to less weight but they do introduce a higher level of friction.

You would also probably need to upgrade to a full race block as well. The Ford Windsor blocks are not the strongest.

Bottom line is it's going to mean a lot of $$$$ to get to that level.

BTW: I don't think anyone makes a destroked crank for the 302. I may be wrong but I believe the 289 has smaller bore but the same stroke. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wheelman

The 302 is a 3.00" stroke, and the 289 is a 2.87" stroke. Then the even smaller 260 is the same short stroke, but also with a smaller bore. I believe the stock rods work fine up to at least 7000+. Better rod bolts, forged pistons, and a really good valve train will be the key at this rpm. I run my 289 past 7000 every time I take the car out with the OEM 289 crank and rods, and with the above changes. Back in the late 70's I used to take the 289 to 8K many, many times, but I eventually broke a piston ring land (cast piston) one time, and broke a crank later on (not sure if the main cap webbing gave way, which destroyed the crank, or if it was the other way around).

well i got a 94 mustang 302 block the oens rated for 225 or 205 hp i think what si the redline on this? (it is bone stock EFI but im converting it to carb) I thought the main redline factor was throwing a pushrod, is this correct? So with beefed rods you could add a good 200-300 to the redline i would think, or is it the cam that decides if a rod will be thrown?

Guest 305240

One of the first things you will need is a set of heads that can breathe. Do it the easy way....when you hit 6K, shift into another gear.

I have a 1989 5.0L in my 260Z.

The motor was completely stock when I originally install it five years ago. In stock form, the motor would rev to the 6250 computer enforced redline, but power pretty much signed off at 5800.

Now the motor has Edelbrock aluminum heads, crower 15511 hydraulic roller cam, FMS 1.72 roller rocker arms, Cobra intake on the original stock bottom end. In this configuration, the car pulls very strong all the way to the 6250 rev limiter. In first gear, you rev so fast that it is hard to shift fast enough to stay off the rev limiter. I have put several thousand miles on this motor and bounce off the rev limiter countless times without any problems.

The main impediments to revving the 5.0L are the computer (6250 rpms), and the mass of the hydraulic roller lifters. The computer is an easy fix, but the hydraulic roller lifters are a little more difficult. The hydraulic roller lifters are heavy and start to bounce after a certain rpm. I have heard that this occurs around 6500. To a certain degree, this can be controlled by installing better valve springs but if you install too stiff a valve spring on a hydraulic lifter, it will collapse. Some people are exceeding 7500 with the hydraulic roller lifters with the right combination of cam and springs. Anderson Ford Motorsports boasts that their cams and valve train can do this.

I have considered installing a chip to raise my rev limit, but have decided to wait until I can build a new bottom end and switch to a solid roller cam.

As an aside, my best friend and I run a NHRA Super stock Comet with a 289. That engine with a stock crank, stock rods, stock block (filled mexican 302), solid roller cam and Jesel valve train sees 8200 rpm every pass. There are others in the class that are twisting the 289 well past 9000 rpms.

maybe ill just go for a

http://shop.centralcoastmustang.net/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=35

or a

http://shop.centralcoastmustang.net/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=34

i dont get whats so bad about the hyper pistons? but both of those engines seems pretty good aluminum 302 for about 3000 that put sout 370 hp! and a 340 horse 302 that is 2400 not bad concidering the ford racing equivalent is about 3400.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c21brian

I just received and installed the AFR 165 heads purchased from Central Coast Mustang. I also am curious as to what RPM I can safely take mine to. The engine has been balanced and I am running a E303 cam with a MSD ignition with rev limiters (pill type). Previous to the new heads I was running GT40P heads (also purchased from Central Coast) I limited revs to 5800. There didn't seem to be any thing to gain by running much passed 5500 with the old set up and I was definatly faster (on the auto-x course) shifting around 5000 rather than near the limit.

Any body Know the limits of a E303 with AFR 165 heads?

Brian

Brian,

I have the edelbrock heads, Cobra Intake and Crower 15511 cam with 1.72 roller rocker arms. I installed these pieces somewhat incrementally and here is what I experienced.

Stock......................Anything over 5500 was a waste of time.

Stock + 1.72 rocker arms, 73mm MAF and 24# injectors............. a little more power but same rpm

Add heads, intake, cam.............. pulls hard all the way to the 6250 rev limiter.

I feel that the motor could easily pull to 6500 without any problems. I will probably install a chip soon to test that theory.:twisted:

With the 5.0L, the first hurdle to twisting past 5500 is the stock heads, intake, and cam. The stock heads don't flow well enough, and the stock valve springs are too weak to handle 5800 rpms.

You now have a great set of heads with good valve springs. Unfortunately, the E-303 cam has a fairly narrow power curve that signs off at about 6000 rpms. You might consider a different cam. Crower and Anderson Ford Motorsports make some good ones. What intake are you running? Aren't you running a carburetor ?

With the AFR heads, the right hydraulic roller cam, and the right intake 6500 rpms should be safe. If you really want to rev (above 6500) then install a solid roller cam. Anything more than 6500 though you should use better connecting rods.