HybridZ

Sin to paint original wheels?

b__sosick

I, being on an extremely limited budget, came up with the idea of just painting my current wheels.

They are extremely dirty from brake dust (the former owner obviously never washed her)

and i've already spent hours trying to clean them and make them look presentable. I'm close to saying fudge it and painting them black.

these aren't the ones aren't mine, but the kind i have. (stole pic from cardomain)

445009_68_full.jpg

If the outer lip cleaned up pretty good then paint the centers black if not paint em all..but rough them up withn fine sandpaper before painting... when the budget improves then you will have more choices...In my opinion those are about the best looking Nissan mags. here is an image of a rear drum brake you requested http://www.zparts.com/tutorials/brkdrum/brkdrum_remove.html http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/392a

thanks you guys! I didn't even think about keeping the lip how it is. I don't know why I love that style, and now i'll be sure to sand them down before painting them.

Any suggestions on paint?

also, thanks for the suggestion auxillary but the thing is I wanted black/gun metal wheels. I just don't want to pay up to 600 a wheel to do so.

right, but you still need to clean your wheels prior to painting them. It's a lot faster to have them run through an industrial size blaster (make sure the abrasive is a soft one, check with the guy running the blaster. last thing you need are chips and nicks that leak air out!) than to clean it out manually. Then sand it, primer it, and paint them

However, at that point, it's a better idea to powdercoat them black. Chances are teh same place may do both. Problem is you'll still wind up spending 300 bucks total if you powder coat them.

Blasting them and rattlecanning seems a logical choice if you want sub 100 dollar clean black wheels

Guest bastaad525

When I still had my '81 ZX with the orignal wheels I painted them. They too just would not clean up, they were coated with brake dust, also they were peeling, a yellowish clear coat over them (was this supposed to be on there?) was peeling off and looked really horrible.

I considered having them sand/bead blasted but figured it'd be a pain getting the tires removed, dropping them off for a few days (mind you at this time the ZX was my only car) then getting the tires remounted and balanced.

So I just pulled them off, masked off the tires, and painted them silver... I forget what kind of paint I used, unfortunately, I think it was automotive paint. I also went over them with a clear coat. They looked great, like brand new. However, they were kind of hard to keep clean... though I guess no harder than they were before I painted them! Once brake dust built up on them getting it off was a pain.

For a while I was seriously considering getting some of those dust shields that Motorsport Auto sells that keep brake dust from getting on the wheels.

B... if you have an electric drill... go to Harbour Freight and get yourself a small buffing wheel and mandrell to fit the electric drill and some buffing compound.. if not get some automotive rubbing compound (where the car waxes are) and a cotton rag and do it the old fashioned way............ and the gun metal gray looks great on that wheel.