HybridZ

Building A l28et out of a l20et

stagefumer11

Ive been toying with this idea in my head for a while, and hoping i can possible Sucsseed with this in my Country.

Now i do have a R30 skyline with a l20et. Now i can get a l28e

Now my questions are. Will the l20et run a l28et. I know injecors can be a problem but vg30det/rb25det injectors are 2.4 ohms and 370cc. ALso i have hear rumors that The l28 sits on a diffrent angle to a l20et and the Bell hosing will not bolt onto the l28 due to this angle. Corrent me if im wrong

Any insites?

Will the l20et run a l28et.

I assume your talking ECU here - I would try and pickup a L28ET from ebay etc to be on the save side (I don't know that answer just guessing)

ALso i have hear rumors that The l28 sits on a diffrent angle to a l20et and the Bell hosing will not bolt onto the l28 due to this angle. Corrent me if im wrong?

Have not heard this before - I don't think Nissan would do such a thing why manufacture a new gearbox chasing because you angle the engine differently when you have lots of L Series gearbox and engine in different models that are the same. Here is my thought on this one.

The L28E from the 280zx fits a 240/260z. The L28E from a Laurel fits a 240/260/280z and 280zx (has the same sump). The L20E from a fairlady and the laurel are interchangeable. The R30 L20E will fit into a Zed with a different sump and oil pickup (front sump on these cars) so why would Nissan make a completely different gearbox for the L20ET/L28ET? Just does not make any manufacturing sense also Nissan quickly replaced the L20e/et in the skylines and laurels for the RB engine = this is the time for the change.

Just my 2c worth.

I agree, just hoping someone would chime in and hopfully inform, which ya did thanks :).

Is their a major diffrence between a l20et ecu, and a l28et ecu ? They all seem to work in the right princible. I do know tho the l20et ecu doesnt have a leaning out problem after 5k.

L20ET and L28ET are mechanically identical in all boltup and exchange dimensions.

The only differences are internal and fuel related.

Trannies are the same as N/A L28's. I have an L20ET Transmission from an 84 Skyline Turbo in my 73 240Z with an L28ET right now! They are identical to the other five speeds in the comparable N/A L-Powered car of larger displacement.

The L20ET should have a mechanical pressure retard on it, as opposed to the ECCS system used on L28ET's in the USA. I know the Euro units are set up like that, but can't remember the L20ET setup.