HybridZ

Can I take him?!

So, when I first got my ZX running I was sitting at a light about to turn when a camaro pulls up beside me. Of course I couldn't resist since I hadn't raced anyone yet. Needless to say I beat him very badly even missing 2nd gear (improperly installed B&M ratchet shifter). Anyway, a few days ago the guy tracks me down at work and wants to race me in his other camaro with "a vette engine, 4.11 gears, 11 sec. 1/4 mile, 'stock' LS-1, and his first gear goes up to 55mph". So I'm thinking to myself, either this dude is so full of crap that I'm just going to kill him or he's lying when he says he's stock. I'm pretty sure he's not running 11's on a stock engine 4.11 gears or not, and taking first in an automatic to 55mph with 4.11 gears sounds a wee too high also. Me and my friends are wanting to put a little money on it so I wanted some expert advice before I possibly lose a 50 or so.

So here's what he's running supposedly:

-Stock LS-1

-4.11 gears

-"almost slicks"

-11 sec quarter mile

Here's what I'm running:

-383 full roller 10:1 dart iron eagle 215cc with 280 duration cam and little over 500 lift. Should be 450hp/450tq roughly

-350 turbo

-3.90 gears

-stock tires

-stock suspension

-unknow 1/4 mile

I would like to think that even if he does run 11's I could still atleast keep up with him, I know he can outrun me because he's got OD but we're not racing for top end, just acceleration. Thanks for any opinions.

On a side not, I embarassed my first rice burner today :D

He's not running 11"s with stock LS1 and gears. Friend of mine has LS1 firebird, runs low 14's on street tires, high 13's with slicks and gears so at this altitude, that'd be low 13's, at sea level. Heck the Viper only runs high 12's and it has 550HP vs the LS1's 400+. I've seen a firebird run low 11's but he had a 250 shot and all kinds of mods.

Never be afraid to be beat, you can only win the races you participate in.

I've seen a truly stock LS1 WS6 with drag radials, a lid and stock gears run 12.6 with a 6 speed and an experienced driver. He likely has a big stall converter, gears, bolt-ons and real stickey tires. IF HE'S TELLING THE TRUTH about being a stock vette motor, and he's got a ZO6 motor, he "may" be getting into the 11's with light bolt-ons, gears and a converter. If he's deep into the 11's, he's lightened the car significantly or has a secret. (watch out for the hidden nitrous in the lid... very common with street racers) Or he's lying about being "stock".

With your power to weight ratio and a decent launch, there is no reason that you can not hang with or beat him. Your biggest problem is going to be "stock tires"... If you are serious, you need to get something sticky under the rear. (Nittos aren't bad and you can actually get decent mileage out of them)

Take it to the track. Besides being safe, there are no excuses or "opinions" about who won. Also, if you are serious, get to the track and practice! Getting down the track is ALOT more than just mashing the gas.

Jody

I am with Scottie on this one, BS! If he runs 11's then he is not stock. Heads, cam, lid, gears, Mickey T's, stall and exhaust. Then we will see 11's. I met a guy at the track two weeks ago. He has a SS ls1 Camaro with those mods and runs 11.70's and 10.70's on the bottle. Oh and he is no slouch for a driver either.

Mike

400 some horsepower in a 2500 pound car (roughly) versus a 400 some horsepower in a 3500 pound car (roughly).

Unless you've got some traction issues or something... he shouldn't be able to beat you. I love Camaros, but power to weight ratio is where it is at!

Now, if this is an older Camaro... it might weigh in at closer to 3100 pounds and make for a bit closer of a race.

Keep it on the track... tell him loser pays the winner's entry and tech fees.

I like the B.S. flag :hail:

I'm at 12.2 with basically a stock motor. Hopefully high 11.00's next week in a Z!!! No way, I think he is full of B.S.!!! I say look for the bottle! You will take him :flamedevi

Do you have posi? I would totally invest in some drag radials! They stick really well!!!

SMOKE HIM!

JOEY :cheers:

Guest AbsoluteMoron
He's not running 11"s with stock LS1 and gears. Friend of mine has LS1 firebird' date=' runs low 14's on street tires, high 13's with slicks and gears so at this altitude, that'd be low 13's, at sea level. Heck the Viper only runs high 12's and it has 550HP vs the LS1's 400+. I've seen a firebird run low 11's but he had a 250 shot and all kinds of mods.

Never be afraid to be beat, you can only win the races you participate in.[/quote']

I don't know I if belive that one too much 250hp shot of nitrous on a stock LS-1.....sorry buddy...........it better be so pig rich that it can hardly idle. Plese go ahead and question me, your talking to someone who owns 3 performance shops and has had over 35 customers with ls-1 cars buy and have nitrous kits installed at my stores.

I don't know I if belive that one too much 250hp shot of nitrous on a stock LS-1.....sorry buddy...........it better be so pig rich that it can hardly idle. Plese go ahead and question me, your talking to someone who owns 3 performance shops and has had over 35 customers with ls-1 cars buy and have nitrous kits installed at my stores.

Damn....after reading your post #9 in this thread.....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101949

And reading your post in this thread, I think you may be posting on the wrong web site.....

LARRY

Guest AbsoluteMoron
Damn....after reading your post #9 in this thread.....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101949

And reading your post in this thread' date=' I think you may be posting on the wrong web site.....

LARRY[/quote']

I'm starting to think so, where's the tech guys that actually have something to contribute to a thread? Once again you prove my theory right on the smartass comments. I simply state a fact on the ls-1 motor and nitrous, and all you can do is talk ****. I would expect someone to call me out on something if I sat here and said something stupid like I have a 2 stage 500 shot system on my sbc.

If you read what I posted it specifically says "I've seen a firebird run low 11's but he had a 250 shot and all kinds of mods." I got a call in to my buddy to get the guys name and # and you can hash it out with him. I'll post that when I get it along with a vid of the run. Never said it was stock, besides, what do you think Mods are? Maybe you should stick with the higher end cars, and post on other sites.

This is getting out of hand. ]

Absolutepower: Take it easy. This kinda stuff will get you banned. Admins and mods are on a roll with bannings lately, and have a short fuse.....just a friendly heads-up.

This thread is closed.