HybridZ

280z v/s Linginfelter Z06

J Taylor

Met up with a couple of friends last night. Good friend of mine has a Z06 with a Linginfelter(s?) built 383. Awesome car. Dyno'd 460rwhp. He was supposed to race a 3rd gen rx7 with a Ls1 w/ heads/cam, and bolt on's so I kinda tagged along to play as well. We raced on a long straight bridge with no traffic. The vette ran the rx7 and pulled a coule of cars on him. I ran the vette from about a 50mph kick up to about 150-160. I jumped out about a half a car on him, he pulled back up even with me and thats how it stayed....side by side. Fun race, although I don't like to make a habbit of going that fast in the this old datsun. :)

Also ran my buddy with the 1jz powered toyota truck. The truck has a fairly large t04 series turbo, 23psi and a 100shot. Very stout truck.We went from a 2nd gear kick last night as well and I jumped out about a half a car on him. Looked like he was inching up on me until it shifted (stock auto tranny). It's a slow shifter and I pulled about another car or so on the shift.

JT

JT,

you are making great progress on the car's performance. A 460rwhp Z06 should run about 11.8-9 @ 120 depending on whether all the power is there, traction, driver, etc. I have never felt those types of car's (Hennessy, et al) performance matched the tuner's claims which sometimes are inflated or "measured" differently. I ran against a tuner s-charged Z06 at the track once with "600hp" badges on the fenders. Car ran 11.70 @ 126.33 (admittedly a lousy 2.097 60') which equates to exactly 600 at the crank. ???

Nonetheless, I would own one in a heartbeat and since you ran him on top-end, you are certainly doing some serious huffing yourself. What are the ultimate goals for the car? Hopefully you do not end up with something that can only run good from 70mph on up.

Scottie:

I actually ran a 1/4 last Wed. Not really trying too hard to get it to leave...more interested in seeing the mph. Trapped 119 running 13psi in 1st, and 17 in 3rd....ran 18 in 4th but I only got to touch 4th briefly in the run. I think part of the reason the car is so sluggish is b/c the tranny gearing is incredibly tall. My first run I ran through the traps at 119 on the limiter in 3rd gear. That 150-160mph run was in 4th gear. I'm running 3.70 rear but the tranny gearing is killing me seems like. I would change the rear to something a little shorter but I am planning to put a th350 with about a 4000 stall in the car in the very near future (hopefully before the next SEZ event). Lightning is for sell so as soon as it's gone I will buy the auto.

Like I said the Z06 dynod 461 to the ground. I'm sure he's way more aerodynamic than the z so hopefully I'm making some decent power since he couldn't pull me at those speeds. Either way, the car is not making what I hoped it would but it's still fast from a roll. Oughta wake up with the 100 shot going on it. :)

JT

Trapping 119mph is hauling but some of that mph is the result of the lazy launch. An automatic with a 4000 stall is going to make your eyes bug out on the launch, IF you have tires that can hold it. Surprised you went with a TH350 unless you are willing to sacrifice cruising. A TH350 with a 4000 stall and 3.70s is going to make for a very busy, no, make that buzzy engine at 75mph. Remember that a 4000 stall, non-lockup converter will make those 3.70s be more like a 4.0 final drive.