HybridZ

throttle cable connection at the pedal....

fl327

wondering what you guys have done to secure the throttle cable to the pivot part of the pedal, the pivot part stock has the ball pressed on to it that connects the throttle linkage, and im sure that at least one of you guys has come up with something good in this regard. thanx guys.

Len, In the two previous conversions I've completed, I probably went a different route than most others. I removed the Datsun throttle pedal all together, drilled new mounting holes in the firewall, eek2.gif and mounted a throttle pedal from a late 70's Camaro. The pedal is in the same position as the original with same travel. I then just used a Chevy throttle cable. Simple and it works. 2thumbs.gif

I kept mine as simple as I could. Cut off the arm 3/4" above the center of the opening in the firewall, marked the point where the cable should be (center of the hole in the firewall) then drilled all the way through with a bit just larger than the cable. Then from the back used a 3/16" drill to make a recess for the ball, about 1/2 the way through the shaft. Cut a slot down to it with a jig saw, smoothed everything out with a file and a wire wheel. At the top, I put a hose clamp to keep everything in place. Make sure the angle on the cable is as "straight" as possible, to avoid fatiguing it.

I took out the stock pedal and cut off the "ball" at the end with a hacksaw. Then I took the pedal from a chevy and cut off the connector. BTW, the car i cut the connector off of was a caprice. Any chevy from the JY should have the same connector. I then welded the chevy connector onto the end of the stock pedal, making sure the cable would be straight enough.

Simple as that, whole thing costed me $5 for the chevy pedal.

Also, I suppose you could just cut the flanged part of the stock pedal off, rotate it, weld it, drill a hole for the fitting, and use a hacksaw to make a spot for the cable to go as you slip the fitting in...

Pat

Guest heinera

There is an easier way. The JTR book gave me this idea. Get a lokar throttle cable. Use washers and secure the cable to the firewall in the original throttle linkage hole. The original gas pedal assembly needs to be taken out, and the top end ground a little bit narrower. Then drill a hole the right size for the lokar pin to fit through. It cost $30 for the cable, took about an hour, works great, and looks good.