HybridZ

7mge or te

4seat74

I have a bone stock 260 with an engine that needs some attention. I've been looking at swaping to a later model L series or to a toyota just to be different. I'm not looking to build a moster motor or anything. Just something I could jump in to drive to the coast or Reno and have it get me there, and haul *** through corners yada yada. The one thing I haven't been able to find searching is what does it take for motor/tranny mounts to swap in the toyota motor. What kind of chassis reenforcement would I need to do, what kind of weight gain I'd have vs doing a L series build. Also what would the cost comparision be between swapping in the yoda or building the L. I think that about covers it.

Guest Battle Pope

Don't even bother with the 7MGE. In it's naturally aspirated form, the 7M isn't good for a whole lot. That said, don't bother with the 7MGTE either because I assume you'd just be finding a used engine/trans, in which case you'll be rebuilding it soon anyway because the stock head gasket's only good to about 10 PSI (if that).

Both the 7M engines have head gasket issues but GTEs moreso than their NA counterparts.

If you want a successful, satisfying build, swap in an L28ET and be thankful you didn't go with one of the worst Supra engines ever created.

It may be the worst supra engine, but it has more potential than the l28et. Yes you will have to replace the headgasket and would probally wanna upgrade the head bolts also, but if you are not looking for over 350 rwhp then the l28et should be fine. And a whole lot easier to swap

I would have to say people are too hard on the 7m as well. I have an 87 turbo Supra and the engine is super smooth and very torquey. Yes, they are notorious about killing headgaskets, but all it needs is a good gasket and ARP studs and you won't have to worrry about that. Other than that, the 7m is a pretty solid motor with lots of potential. I would have to agree with the statement abover though.....don't go 7mge......if you are going to swap to a 7m, at least go turbo.

For the easiest/cheapest swap, the L28et is where it's at. Will still make more power than most people need, with a few upgrades, and has no BS problems that I know of.

JT

I like the 7mGTE. As long as you do as suggested by Yasin and JT.

It is a great motor. There is a member here (Clifton) with over 500RWHP 7mGTe in his Z. Also Tony240ZT has a 7MGTE with great success.

I personally saw a old 85 celica/supra with a 7m swap run a 12.2.@116. pretty impressive.

So it sounds like I should probably just stick with an L series for now. I don't need anything to fast otherwise I might be tempted to use it in ways that get me in trouble. My only concern is the T5 tranny that goes with the turbos I know there good but unlike all the supra trannies I used to tear apart the T5's were almost always messed up. (worked in a tranny parts warehouse)

I've built both L28ET and 7M-GTE 240Z's and the L28ET project was finished much much quicker, and for much less money/greef. With some very minor bolt ons it was enough power to make driving the car a ton of fun.

I like that you can still purchase a JDM 7M-GTE, but L28ET's are too old to find with only ~40K miles. Many people have just dropped a junk yard L28ET in after checking for good compression and didn't even sweat the mileage. Ultimately you'll be wanting to pull the head on your L28ET to freshen things up just as you would with the 7M, and a metal head gasket with good fasteners is recommended for any high boost application.

I agree with Sparks280zt about if you want to make up to 350hp then the l28et would do the job, but if you want to make more you will probably save money in the long run with the 7M.

I haven't officially anounced it, but my 7m-gte project is under boost now. It's a real neck jerker when boost roles in. My turbine housing may be a bit large because the hammer doesn't come down until about 3600 rpm. I'll be posting some pictures soon, later on this summer I'll have it dynoed.