HybridZ

Mounting aftermarket seats?

HooversTurbo

Hey All,

I finally have some time to work on one of my Z's.

I've always had a problem mounting aftermarket seats in both of my cars. They usually sit too high.

I usually end up having to cut out the OEM mounting points and drill flat into floor pan. I've seen other people mount them and they seat well, but every time I use the brackets Recaro, Corbeau etc... provide they always sit way too high.

I need some advice before I cut out the seat mounts in the floor plan.

Help!!!

Hoover

I mounted CRX Si seats in my Z, and had the same problem. Ended up cutting 1.5" out of the factory seat brackets/bracing on the floor and re-welded it in lower. The stock Z seats are quite thin, and I can't see any way of getting around this issue other than choping some metal out.. almost any newer seats (aftermarket or otherwise) are going to be thicker.

I modified the Recaro brackets for my Z. The problem wasn't that the seat was too high, it was that the front of the seat was too high in relation to the back, and it made my feet go to sleep in about 1/2 hour. So I cut the front adjuster holes off the Recaro bracket and ground down the front of the rail a bit. I left the rear in the top most adjuster. I was able to get it pretty close to where I wanted, then a friend of mine welded it all together. Worked like a charm. BTW I have older Recaros, so maybe the newer ones are taller. Mine are very thin on the bottom, and every time I sit in a stock Z seat I feel like I'm going to hit my head on the roof.

I modified the Recaro brackets for my Z. The problem wasn't that the seat was too high, it was that the front of the seat was too high in relation to the back, and it made my feet go to sleep in about 1/2 hour. So I cut the front adjuster holes off the Recaro bracket and ground down the front of the rail a bit. I left the rear in the top most adjuster. I was able to get it pretty close to where I wanted, then a friend of mine welded it all together. Worked like a charm. BTW I have older Recaros, so maybe the newer ones are taller. Mine are very thin on the bottom, and every time I sit in a stock Z seat I feel like I'm going to hit my head on the roof.

Great!!!! So I'm not just a poor seat installer and that's good to know...

Ok...I'm a cuttin away this week.

Thanks a billion guys!!!

Since you liked that idea so much, and the seats are literally about 5 feet away from my computer I decided to take some pics for you:

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

You can see kinda see that the front of the frame rail that would attach to the three holes up front is cut off. What you can't see is that we ground the crap out of the top of the rail. Where the rail attaches to the slider it is probably a good inch shorter than it was, and it is ground basically to a point at the front end, so that lowered the front end another 3/8" or so.

Anyway, hope that helps you straighten your situation out.

Since you liked that idea so much' date=' and the seats are literally about 5 feet away from my computer I decided to take some pics for you:

[img']http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/seat1.jpg[/img]

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

You can see kinda see that the front of the frame rail that would attach to the three holes up front is cut off. What you can't see is that we ground the crap out of the top of the rail. Where the rail attaches to the slider it is probably a good inch shorter than it was, and it is ground basically to a point at the front end, so that lowered the front end another 3/8" or so.

Anyway, hope that helps you straighten your situation out.

VERY VERY COOL OF YOU!!!

I do owe you one.

I've got my car up on a dyno right now and surgery will begin after I finish tuning.

You rock!!

MR.C!

what a very nice surprise it is to find you...We met at Dando's so many years ago. (The old shop before the move) I remember your red car, still have it? I helped you with the flares and the flip top fuel cap. Many things have happened since then, we must catch up at an event. I have Faber's Red Z-8. I can help with the seats but I think you've got this well covered by now.

Larry that's a nice mount. Definitely addresses the same problem I had. Wish I had seen that 10 years ago. In my case I wouldn't have needed the adapter at all. I purchased the adapters separately from the seats, so that would have saved me $100 IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
MR.C!

what a very nice surprise it is to find you...We met at Dando's so many years ago. (The old shop before the move) I remember your red car' date=' still have it? I helped you with the flares and the flip top fuel cap. Many things have happened since then, we must catch up at an event. I have Faber's Red Z-8. I can help with the seats but I think you've got this well covered by now.[/quote']

Hey Peter,

How are you? I remember you very well.

As you already know Andy sold the shop and now lives in Brentwood.

I have my own shop now and more/less tool silicone hoses and dyno work.

Please come by some time, I'm in Dublin.

925-803-1555.

Once in a while I get custom work, but most of my business is over the phone and internet which leaves me time to work on my cars. At the end of the year, we're moving to Livermore to our new facility and home of TurboHoses.

I hear that you are doing some CAD work and I could use some parts once in a while. Give me a call and bring your car by, I'd love to dyno it.

I still have my big Red Z, but it's got a Turbo Motor now. I also own a very tricked out orange Z that I'm working on. It's got a 3.2 ltr with TWM induction, but I'm pulling the motor and installing an RB26DETT.

Are you still racing?

Hoover

Ok fellas...

I was a little busy and didn't get a chance to cut the OEM mounts out. However, I found a pair of Recaros for sale this weekend and bought them from a guy that had them mounted in his Z car. To my surprise they fit in very well without any modification. The answer is not using the Recaro brackets for Z cars. Unfortunately, he didn't know the name of the place he purchased the brackets from, but he did say they were in Long Beach CA and specialized in seat brackets/mounts. All he told them was the type of seat he had and the car it was to be mounted to and 160.00 later a bolt in fit without modification.

I'm sure if some one did a google search this place would be easy to find.

Hoover